For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

Tree's and Plants

URP - the Unreal Retexturing Project: for those who are interested in High-Resolution Textures for Unreal & UnrealTournament or may want to take part in creating them

Moderator: ahaigh01

DieHard SCWS
Global Moderator

Re: Tree's and Plants

Post by DieHard SCWS »

i can do that. Only need the files.
Lol Smirftsch, you started this thread. Do you mean, you can alter the mergertool so it can handle the UnrealShare.u ?

If so, i can sent the files to you i got from Kerilk.
gerdo

Post by gerdo »

You need to be able to merge the dds files with UnrealShare.u without changing the network compatebillity. The current tool we use can only handle utx files.
so its possible to merge the files and lose network compatebillity? that wouldnt annoy me, cause i want to play unreal in single player mode currently.
DieHard SCWS
Global Moderator

Post by DieHard SCWS »

No, you cannot expect us to create updates that will cause mismatches by definition. We already have enough things in Unreal that causes mismatches, let alone people getting confused.

Create content should be compatible above all.
Smirftsch
Administrator

Post by Smirftsch »

I can do it with the sources I have. With them its possible to create netcompatible .u files. These files will be recognized by such things as uprotect however, but it will work.
Sometimes you have to lose a fight to win the war.
DieHard SCWS
Global Moderator

Post by DieHard SCWS »

That would be cool :)

Theres some interesting things that could be updated.

In that case i still have a wishlist for the tool.........

Split the tool in 2 versions.

- Oné that merges Unreal files and have it go to UnrealTemp
- Oné that merges UT files and have it go to UTTemp

In that way i could finally create the 100% netcompatible UT packages.
ahaigh01
OldUnreal Member

Post by ahaigh01 »

Smirftsch,

That's great to know that capability is there.

As we know, the textures that are mapped to meshes are harder to deal with than the rest, mainly because they are contained within a .u file, instead of a .utx file.

I am just wondering if something is possible to try to "solve" this problem - maybe it is not possible or too hard - I don't know...

Would it be possible to "recode" the scripts that are in the .u files, associated with the models, so that they "point to" a texture that is outside the unrealshare.u file (for example).  Playerskins are already like this.  What I am saying is very similar to BOZO's mutator idea, but the difference is that unrealshare.u and unrealI.u must be altered (at least just once), and then after that only the new .utx file will need to be updated as new textures are created - same process that Diehard is employing right now.  This would give the texture makers more freedom to update the texure packages without having to ever tamper with the core .u files again.  Plus we already have created the S3_UnrealShare.utx packages that will work for this purpose.  

Do you think this is possible or a crazy idea?  Of course it would have to be part of a patch, and no doubt lots of work.  But maybe the idea has merit.

I guess what I am saying relates back to a post of yours from a while ago - but proposes to separate the texures out of the .u files.

Smirftsch wrote:

"For the implementation you can simply send me (or lemme download somewhere) the work you did and i can build it easily into 227. For the mutator- good question, i'm not sure if a clean implementation directly wouldnt be the better idea, because although the idea sounds logical its the question if to much additional things at the moment may mess up something or could cause unforseen problems... "

Any thoughts?

Last edited by ahaigh01 on Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
ahaigh01
OldUnreal Member

Post by ahaigh01 »

Diehard,

I created a new texture for the project. It is for the NaliFruit plant. Do you want it sent to you for your archives, and if so, do you want just the .dds or the .psd too?
DieHard SCWS
Global Moderator

Post by DieHard SCWS »

To answer you last question first, i would like the final PSD files if possible, and i would not mind it if you would include the dds files too.

As for seperating the textures from the .u files. I am not sure if we would gain something from it. Except the people who know the details of the S3TC stuff its obviously, but it is my experience that in general people have difficulty to understand the material. Having multiple files instead of oné package would complicate the matter even more.

And the S3_UnrealShare package was an atempt to find a bypass solution for the netcompatebility. If the package itself can be updated than i would prefer that. After all it would work the same as for the other packages, just click on the mergertool and the new one is there.
This would give the texture makers more freedom to update the texure packages without having to ever tamper with the core .u files again.  
And that is actually my point, in that case you are done with that package, but it leaves you with several other packages to work on. The only tamper we would have to do is clicking on the mergertool and its done.

Dont get me wrong i undertand what you are saying, seperating the textures from the package could lead to several nicelly grouped new packages like weapons, flesh :D deco, etc. It makes that package overseeable, more than it is now. But i am very reluctant how the users will see it.

I am not sure if we will win anything with it......
ahaigh01
OldUnreal Member

Post by ahaigh01 »

Quote:

"As for seperating the textures from the .u files. I am not sure if we would gain something from it. Except the people who know the details of the S3TC stuff its obviously, but it is my experience that in general people have difficulty to understand the material. Having multiple files instead of oné package would complicate the matter even more. "

Here's what I'm thinking:

If I understand correctly, an unreal patch like 227 will be including new versions of unrealshare.u and unrealI.u anyway.  Right now they are not very large compared to a typical S3TC .utx package.  If the new high res textures are put inside the .u packages they will become huge.  Not all people will want the high res texures, just the new patch.  I remember Smirftsch saying that the patch can't become huge, and it does make sense.  If they are separated there is no problem - downloaders of the patch will get the small S3_unrealshare.utx as part of the patch, and people wanting to use S3TC will overwrite that file with the large one anyway.  To my mind separating the texures out brings only advantages, but maybe there are technical limitations that I don't know about.
Last edited by ahaigh01 on Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
ahaigh01
OldUnreal Member

Post by ahaigh01 »

Diehard - here is the texture - psd and dds

http://www.mediamax.com/kkorker/Hosted/unreal/psd/JNaliFruit1.rar
ahaigh01
OldUnreal Member

Post by ahaigh01 »

... But as I think about it you are right, Diehard.  As long as the .u packages can be updated with S3TC textures everything will work fine.  But I am assuming that - and let me know if I have this wrong -  (1.) 227 will indeed contain updated versions of unrealshare.u and unrealI.u that contain Smirftsch's enhancements and bug-fixes (2.) the original pcx textures will be in those .u files for the benefit of non-S3TC users and to keep the file size of 227 as small as possible(3.)  users of S3TC textures will overwrite those .u files with net compatible versions that contain the high res textures, as is the case already with S3TC .utx packages.  Smirftsch - am I thinking right?  :D
Carry on - Pay no attention to that man behind the plant... :-[
Last edited by ahaigh01 on Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DieHard SCWS
Global Moderator

Post by DieHard SCWS »

Well yeah, its the same as "usual". If the 227 patch comes out it will have an updated UnrealShare.u which is usable for all normal players. The S3TC version will be on top of that, so normal players will have the normal updated oné. S3TC users will be able to download the S3TC version of that one.

In effect only those who choose S3TC will have need for an S3TC version. Normal players will be left alone (read not bothered).
Smirftsch
Administrator

Post by Smirftsch »

i agree on that, it will be a seperate version for download for those who wanna use and beeing able to use the s3tc textures
Sometimes you have to lose a fight to win the war.

Return to “High-Res Textures for Unreal & UnrealTournament”