For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

Distance fog is glitchy.

UnrealEd 2.1 (227i) and UnrealEd 2.2 (227j), for Unreal 227. With many additions, bugfixes and improvements. Ask mapping related questions, or give hints, tips and tricks.
UnrealWillNeverDie
OldUnreal Member

Distance fog is glitchy.

Post by UnrealWillNeverDie »

So I need help, if anyone can. I made a room have distance fog, the fog is very glitchy in an unbearable way. It makes horrid twisting and whatnot, here is an image:

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=15x9uv8&s=8#.Va5JC7VgKyg

Sorry if it is not visible enough..
When life gives you lemons, sell them.
Smirftsch
Administrator

Re: Distance fog is glitchy.

Post by Smirftsch »

need more input, settings you made, maybe this or an example map.
Sometimes you have to lose a fight to win the war.
UnrealWillNeverDie
OldUnreal Member

http://oi57.tinypic.com/28hol7n.jpg

Chose a more easily distinguishable color for the fog. That picture will hopefully show the problem..
Skywolf
OldUnreal Member

Post by Skywolf »

I dont see anything wrong. That is simply how Distance Fog works ;).

If you really want to make a room filled with thick fog you can better use the regular one created using Light actors. Downside of this is that it costs quite alot of performance. Even on fairly modern systems.

Distance Fog is really only good for either sky boxes, where you can control everything, or for creating a thin fog in the far distance to simulate a planet's atmosphere.
I hate it when people ask me what my favorite game is. Just try to explain you're not talking about Unreal Tournament ::).
UnrealWillNeverDie
OldUnreal Member

Hm. Well how come in UT2004 distancefog always look flawless? Those glitches are absent in ut2004 afaik..
Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Post by Hellkeeper »

This might be linked to the fact UT2004 uses a completely different and much powerful engine.

Although I see the glitch in your screenshot. Can we take a look at the map (or even just the room) itself?
Last edited by Hellkeeper on Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You must construct additional pylons.
Turboman.
OldUnreal Member

Post by Turboman. »

This can be easily fixed by just upping the polycount, iirc fog is vertex based and can yield some strange result with very low poly areas.
just make a huge cylinder, and add some distance fog, it'll clip quite strangely.
regular (zone based) fog does not have this, because it appears to depend on lightmap quality.
[]KAOS[]Casey
OldUnreal Member

Post by []KAOS[]Casey »

Unreal lighting really depends on the scale of your texture.

If you scale that down to tile like crazy it may look a lot better for the fog at least. I'm just guessing on the fog though. I do know that super-tiled textures have spherical lighting with dynamic lights, instead of the weird Gouraud shading stuff

Return to “UnrealEd 2.x, the Unreal 227 editors”