For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

Tiny Christmas 2008 S3TC release

URP - the Unreal Retexturing Project: for those who are interested in High-Resolution Textures for Unreal & UnrealTournament or may want to take part in creating them

Moderator: ahaigh01

DieHard SCWS
Global Moderator

Tiny Christmas 2008 S3TC release

Post by DieHard SCWS »

As i promised on various forums, i will do a tiny S3TC release. I had planned to release the DecayedS package, but as usual i wasnt able to get it done at the deadline i had set.

Though the release is small, its never the less an important one. For years i have been trying to create the S3TC versions for the crates that are widelly used in almost any Unreal map. Effectivelly they make a big part of the Unreal looks, and any Unrealer if he/she sees those crates in a screenshot, knows it can only be Unreal and nothing else :).

[url=http://www.unrealtexture.com/Unreal/Website/TextureDatabase/Unreal/Mine/Mine/DecoS3TC/Large/MMCRATE2.jpg][img]http://www.unrealtexture.com/Unreal/Website/TextureDatabase/Unreal/Mine/Mine/DecoS3TC/MMCRATE2.jpg[/img][/url]     [url=http://www.unrealtexture.com/Unreal/Website/TextureDatabase/Unreal/Mine/Mine/DecoS3TC/Large/MMCRATE3.jpg][img]http://www.unrealtexture.com/Unreal/Website/TextureDatabase/Unreal/Mine/Mine/DecoS3TC/MMCRATE3.jpg[/img][/url]

The crates i made are as close as i possible could do. But, be warned upfront, due to the amount of detail, colors may seem a bit different than you used to. This is mainly due to the detail, the overal color is a pretty exact match, but when you get closer (or zoom from far) you will see more detail and thereby more color variation. I have been playing with them for a couple a weeks now, and you need ot get used to them, and that may apply to other people as well. But i think they are super cool and a worthy successor :)

Because of the importance of these textures, i decided to add them in the size 2048 x 2048 pixels instead of the 1024 x 1024 pixels it should have been. As said they are too important to simply add them in a lower resolution. And this applies to both Low and High End packages.

Here are the downloads:

[url=http://www.unrealtexture.com/Unreal/Downloads/Textures/S3TCLowEnd/Unreal/LowEnd_Mine.zip]Low End Mine Package[/url]

[url=http://www.unrealtexture.com/Unreal/Downloads/Textures/S3TCHighEnd/Unreal/HighEnd_Mine.zip]High End Mine Package[/url]

I hope everyone will enjoy them, and wish everybody a Merry Christmas and happy crate playing :)
Last edited by DieHard SCWS on Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jâçkrâßßit

Re: Tiny Christmas 2008 S3TC release

Post by Jâçkrâßßit »

what a nasty little Christmas gift!!!!!!!!!! I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the rust on that thing is incredible. Off the top of my head, I would say this texture summarizes the feeling created when playing GoW2 (gears of war 2). Great job diehard, and merry Christmas man!

]Rubberwood
OldUnreal Member

Post by ]Rubberwood »

Impressive. Nicely done.
Hyper
OldUnreal Member

Post by Hyper »

Downloaded and installed. It looks great, as always. Thanks for another quality release! Merry Christmas!
The man who stopped a tsunami

http://www.hypercoop.tk
unreal://hypercoop.tk
DieHard SCWS
Global Moderator

Post by DieHard SCWS »

I just realised its really the best Christmas present i could do, because its kinda in a Christmas spirit, its not large but its the idea that counts :)
[§Ŕ] ŤhěxĐâŕkśîđěŕ
OldUnreal Member

Post by [§Ŕ] ŤhěxĐâŕkśîđěŕ »

Very nice dude! :)
Merry Christmas!
DieHard SCWS
Global Moderator

Post by DieHard SCWS »

I forgot to mention there is also a procedural crate texture in the GenWarp package(gw_rusty). It can be seen on top of a crate next to the elevator in NyLeve. I already knew i couldnt update it, but i tried never the less, but with no result. Ingame the texture apears completelly black, which means its useless.

So, for the moment we are stuch with the non S3TC version of that specific texture. At least till there is an update in the Mergertool. Sorry for that, but theres unfortunatelly nothing that can be done there, at least not now.
Last edited by DieHard SCWS on Thu Dec 25, 2008 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
David_OSU
OldUnreal Member

Post by David_OSU »

I forgot to mention there is also a procedural crate texture in the GenWarp package(gw_rusty). It can be seen on top of a crate next to the elevator in NyLeve. I already knew i couldnt update it, but i tried never the less, but with no result. Ingame the texture apears completelly black, which means its useless..
Once again, the MergerTool seems to have problems when the first texture in a package is animated or procedural.
DieHard SCWS
Global Moderator

Post by DieHard SCWS »

Once again, the MergerTool seems to have problems when the first texture in a package is animated or procedural.

I dunno, i never really looked into that. But at first glance you could be correct, the packages that have procedural textures in it, and have been upgraded succesfully have them located in a differrent place than the 1st place. Its possible.
David_OSU
OldUnreal Member

Post by David_OSU »

I dunno, i never really looked into that. But at first glance you could be correct, the packages that have procedural textures in it, and have been upgraded succesfully have them located in a differrent place than the 1st place. Its possible.
And the MergerTool has failed on HubEffects, TCrystal, and XbpFX, which all have an animated texture in the first slot.

A quick check would be to swap the position of the first two textures in XbpFX, and see if the MergerTool creates a good package.  If it does, then I'm sure this is what triggers the bug.

I'm a bit ignorant on the subtelties of texture packages, but does it really matter what order the textures are in?  Can this swapping trick be used as a workaround for all texture packages where the first texture is animated?

Of course, the best solution would be to fix the bug in the tool, and knowing what causes the bug would help.  But I don't know if the tool author is willing to put in the effort to fix it.
Kerilkkorn
OldUnreal Member

Post by Kerilkkorn »

I cannot upgrade the tool anymore because I seriously lack time. Nonetheless, the sources are given to several person already. If someone we can trust, with coding time on his hand, is willing look into my dirty code he is more than welcome.
War doesn't determine who is right, war determines who is left...

Return to “High-Res Textures for Unreal & UnrealTournament”