For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

Lighting Question.

Ask UnrealEd 1 mapping related questions, or give hints, tips and tricks
William(Rainman)
OldUnreal Member

Lighting Question.

Post by William(Rainman) »

I played this Map Pack called Strangeworld and in the First Map it goes from Day to Night as you Progress through the Level.

How do you set up Lighting like that?

It has Trigger Lights next to Regaler Lights could that cause that?
)Leela(-[otS]-
OldUnreal Member

Re: Lighting Question.

Post by )Leela(-[otS]- »

Hiya :)

yup it's done with TriggerLights.
You can use the setting ChangeTime for it. This is the time the light will take from full on to off or from off to full on. You can do some neat things with it.
William(Rainman)
OldUnreal Member

Hiya :)

yup it's done with TriggerLights.
You can use the setting ChangeTime for it. This is the time the light will take from full on to off or from off to full on. You can do some neat things with it.
Do i need to set Trigger Lights up with Tag and Event?
)Leela(-[otS]-
OldUnreal Member

Post by )Leela(-[otS]- »

Hi :)

yes, like the name already says. Normally something must trigger the actor to make it work.
As an example the change from day to night in Strange1:
You set the TriggerLight up like a normal Light. In this case the TriggerLight looks like daylight. Under Object/InitialState you set how the TriggerLight should be used. Here it is set to OtherTriggerTurnsOff, that means as soon as this light is triggered by something it will turn off.
With TriggerLight/bInitiallyOn you set if this light is On or Off at mapstart, here it is set to On of course. And TriggerLight/ChangeTime gives the time the light will need to go totally Off. In Strange1 it takes about 7 minutes, must be something around 400 or 450 seconds. If you leave it set to the default value of 0, the light would turn off at once.

If you are interested in more and better explanations than I could do I would recommend this:

http://www.oldunreal.com/editing/TCUERG.zip

You will find lots of cool things in it and also many informations about Light actors and how to use them.
Last edited by )Leela(-[otS]- on Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
William(Rainman)
OldUnreal Member

Hi :)

yes, like the name already says. Normally something must trigger the actor to make it work.
As an example the change from day to night in Strange1:
You set the TriggerLight up like a normal Light. In this case the TriggerLight looks like daylight. Under Object/InitialState you set how the TriggerLight should be used. Here it is set to OtherTriggerTurnsOff, that means as soon as this light is triggered by something it will turn off.
With TriggerLight/bInitiallyOn you set if this light is On or Off at mapstart, here it is set to On of course. And TriggerLight/ChangeTime gives the time the light will need to go totally Off. In Strange1 it takes about 7 minutes, must be something around 400 or 450 seconds. If you leave it set to the default value of 0, the light would turn off at once.

If you are interested in more and better explanations than I could do I would recommend this:

http://www.oldunreal.com/editing/TCUERG.zip

You will find lots of cool things in it and also many informations about Light actors and how to use them.
I read the Tutorial you posted but it didn't give me full Information on how to set up a Day/Night Cycle.

Also How do you make the Regular Light next to the TriggerLight turn off with your TiggerLight?
Last edited by William(Rainman) on Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
)Leela(-[otS]-
OldUnreal Member

Post by )Leela(-[otS]- »

Ah, I see. The regular Lights don't change, they stay always the same. Only the TriggerLights change.
In Strange1 are a bunch of TriggerLights inside the map and also some in the skybox. Right at mapstart all these TriggerLights are triggered and they start to slowly fade from full on to off. In the end it looks like a night ambient. The rest light you see then are the regular Lights.
William(Rainman)
OldUnreal Member

Ah, I see. The regular Lights don't change, they stay always the same. Only the TriggerLights change.
In Strange1 are a bunch of TriggerLights inside the map and also some in the skybox. Right at mapstart all these TriggerLights are triggered and they start to slowly fade from full on to off. In the end it looks like a night ambient. The rest light you see then are the regular Lights.
I understand now. thank you Leela

Return to “UnrealEd, the editor for Unreal up to version  226”