For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

Downloads slow unless redirect used

Report bugs, read about fixes, new features and ask questions about the Unreal 227 patch here. Place comments and commit suggestions.
TCP_Wolf
Administrator

Downloads slow unless redirect used

Post by TCP_Wolf »

Since the IPDriver is now UT code, all downloads directly from a server are now very slow.

This is fine for all the home-servers, because downloaders have no change of creating lag, but for rented servers on T3 and faster it is a downside. Sure, every admin should use redirect anyway but the direct download is always a nice fallback.

This isn't really a bug but more an annoyance. I don't expect that the "speed limit when downloading" becomes a server admin option, because the netcode is messy enough and something would likely be broken here. But Smirftsch if you're very bored in the next 10 years or so, take a look :)
Last edited by TCP_Wolf on Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-=]HONESTY PAYS[=-
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Re: Downloads slow unless redirect used

Post by Leo T_C_K »

I noticed this also, at all taking the UT code over to Unreal isn't a good idea in some ways.  :P
Jâçkrâßßit

Post by Jâçkrâßßit »

ah yes, I have also noticed this when downloading from HyperNL servers.  Well, the best way to bypass this problem is to have a message enabled my the administrator for anyone "Pre 227 " telling them to update and go to oldunreal.com.  Then the administrator will have web-redirect support for all of his "unreal packages"  from the webserver so that everything runs smooth and extremely fast. (The only catch being that all clients must be running 227)
Smirftsch
Administrator

Post by Smirftsch »

first- I didnt take over all UT code, any code is reviewed, worked through and if possible optimized. 227 is no hack out of UT its a complete different story although I used many parts out of it.
The download speed problem exists before 227 iirc, and its not caused by the IPDrv or IPServer. Its not easy to track down why this happens.
Sometimes you have to lose a fight to win the war.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

first- I didnt take over all UT code, any code is reviewed, worked through and if possible optimized. 227 is no hack out of UT its a complete different story although I used many parts out of it.
The download speed problem exists before 227 iirc, and its not caused by the IPDrv or IPServer. Its not easy to track down why this happens.
I know, it was more of a joke, sorry for that. But the speed is slower in UT and 227 significally, you can ask some admins who have experiences with running both of servers.
Smirftsch
Administrator

Post by Smirftsch »

I take your word on that, but as said already, this will not be easy. Not sure whats causing it.
Sometimes you have to lose a fight to win the war.

Return to “Unreal 227”