For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

Alive?

Anything related to the Infiltration-Mod
x .50cal x

Alive?

Post by x .50cal x »

Is this game still alive?  Wasn't looking so hot last time I checked in... Would be some sort of miracle if it was - I miss the old community!
Smirftsch
Administrator

Re: Alive?

Post by Smirftsch »

There are still some servers left, but most of the old community is gone unfortunately. Would be nice to make some revival meeting...:)
Sometimes you have to lose a fight to win the war.
StOnEd-SnIpEr
OldUnreal Member

Post by StOnEd-SnIpEr »

no words but actions smirf^^
Rob-Bot
OldUnreal Member

Post by Rob-Bot »

The old servers; no. It died when 227 came out like most of unreal. However, there is a fun server called RedRum Deathmatches when is very popular with the infiltration gametype.
Smirftsch
Administrator

Post by Smirftsch »

Why always only me...? I'm here you know...always...for almost 11 years now...
If someone wants to organize it, I'll surely support it in any way I can, but I don't have the time & energy to do it myself.
The old servers; no. It died when 227 came out like most of unreal. However, there is a fun server called RedRum Deathmatches when is very popular with the infiltration gametype.

I have no idea where you get this impression from. 227 was never a reason not to play or to give up playing, as they still provide full backwards compatibility.
At the time I was able to release 227 most inf servers were gone already and the community was pretty much gone. The last popular servers like those from SA (europe at least) vanished pretty much before release and the others were almost empty all the time - same for the rest of Unreal- the reason for that was the ongoing cheating- or rather that anyone accused everyone using bots. It was not possible anymore to play a single game without someone crying "AIMBOT!". The fun and the trust was gone. It also left the server admins no choice but to use 227 without allowing old clients.
227 prevented those accusations entirely with the new anticheat. I guess that the resulting refusal of some clans to move on to 227 was even a confirmation of these accusations.

So seriously what else could have been done? Providing a patch which keeps the game intact without changes in gameplay and fully compatible? (the incompatibility between UGold and 226 was caused already caused by Legend and 227 couldn't fix that mistake made by them), disabling all known and suspected bots and cheats?
Making it possible to run on Vista and now Win7 without trouble? Take a look at UT and how many people have problems to run it on nowadays machines. For me it more seems that people are coming back or trying it again because 227 doesn't suffer these problems.

How can you blame 227 for being responsible?

Sorry, but that really bothers me.
Last edited by Smirftsch on Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[]KAOS[]Casey
OldUnreal Member

Post by []KAOS[]Casey »

Sounds like Oz got to your head. I suggest seeking mental help. Oz populates his server with.... himself.
Rob-Bot
OldUnreal Member

Post by Rob-Bot »

Ok, i've seen atleast 13 people who aren't OZ in the server at once, he only has 3 fakes plus himself when he plays. And how the hell does that qualify me for mental help? I was mearly answering the poster's question which was directed to HIM and only HIM, not the 227 team. My opinon or possibly "fact" on 227 shouldn't bother you at all. You can't make something and expect everyone to appreciate it. I'm sorry but I've noticed a lot of drops in players since 227h. And If you look at the server list you will notice how popular 225 servers are as opposed to227. I've played unreal for 10 years and the past 8
225 was fine for everyone and obviously people didn't care a bout the bugs because there was a lot more people. I think 227 did bring unreal down because of the fact that people were forced to download patches that depleted the option to play RTNP. And then when the option became available, there were just as many bugs as 225. Or atleast the probability of GPFs were just as likely. The most populated servers either have 225 or you have OZ's which has 227f, which as said before, doesn't allow you to play RTNP. You can try to offend me all you want, lose respect for me, bitch and moan and write 5,000 word paragraphs about how i'm wrong and should leave this forum. I don't really care. I'm fine with 227 but I strongly belive it destroyed unreal and made it more of a "modern" game than a "classic" game which it's meant to be.
Last edited by Rob-Bot on Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spike
OldUnreal Member

Post by Spike »

Snake if your not going to do anything to assist OldUnreal...just don't say anything at all really..
The · Killer · §kaarj · Assassins Brotherhood (1999-2020)
Rob-Bot
OldUnreal Member

Post by Rob-Bot »

I was answering somebody's question Spike...
Last edited by Rob-Bot on Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Smirftsch
Administrator

Post by Smirftsch »

You can't make something and expect everyone to appreciate it. I'm sorry but I've noticed a lot of drops in players since 227h. And If you look at the server list you will notice how popular 225 servers are as opposed to227. I've played unreal for 10 years and the past 8
225 was fine for everyone and obviously people didn't care a bout the bugs because there was a lot more people. I think 227 did bring unreal down because of the fact that people were forced to download patches that depleted the option to play RTNP. And then when the option became available, there were just as many bugs as 225. Or atleast the probability of GPFs were just as likely. The most populated servers either have 225 or you have OZ's which has 227f, which as said before, doesn't allow you to play RTNP. I'm fine with 227 but I strongly belive it destroyed unreal and made it more of a "modern" game than a "classic" game which it's meant to be.
I don't expect anyone to appreciate it, really. But back then the cheating or the suspected cheating brought down anything already. 227f was the last hope. RTNP was never really a fact (at least for online gaming), because it never ran on 225 either, except the inofficial version which runs on 227 (in any version, including 227f)  too.
It was only forced to run 227 on DM or Inf servers because of the cheating and that was the decision of any server admin alone- and people left them no choice.

The argument that 225 was fine for years is not really fitting- it indeed WAS fine for some time- a long time - but time does not stand still.
There were new systems, new hardware, new requirements. As for clients, even back then D3D7 was horrible, causing often trouble on many graphics cards and OpenGL was not working at all.
And if not for the great work on Nephthys, all 225 servers would have been hacked and crashed at this time already.
And today? Thank god (for Unreal) that most of these "hacking" people left to UT many years ago because it was more attracting, continuing there with those hacks, bots and cheats- and they ruined a lot of the game (if not all of it) there too. But even this way bigger and stronger community had and is still having big trouble to stop all the cheating. A disaster for UT, but there would have been no chance at all anymore for Unreal if they would have stayed and probably no single 225 server would be still running if some of those hacks would be backported from UT.

Currently UT is suffering the same problem Unreal did a few years ago. A very few people trying to work with heavy workarounds against all new cheats, hacks and bots, fixing things a new patch could easily fix.
And take a look at the other UEngine1 games...

Also from the reports I got there is absolutely no way to say there are more GPF's at all- except those which were caused obviously by crippled mods, you can hardly blame 227 for it- besides, I didn't see any drop in players since 227h.

The reason why Oz doesn't move on to 227h is a different story. Ask him why if you wish to know and if you are still interested then, I can tell you my part of the story.

And @ all: please stop this flaming, it was not my intention that anyone got flamed or insulted...
Last edited by Smirftsch on Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spike
OldUnreal Member

Post by Spike »

Wasn't 'ment to flame, just get sick of these threads.
The · Killer · §kaarj · Assassins Brotherhood (1999-2020)
Smirftsch
Administrator

Post by Smirftsch »

Wasn't 'ment to flame, just get sick of these threads.
Still I'd like to hear peoples opinions and rather discuss things out :) - I just don't understand why some people are having an opinion like this and I try to figure out if there something was missed. Could he be right?
Maybe doing nothing really would have worked out, but the more I think about it, the more I'm sure that without the work on it nothing would be left at all anymore today.

Last edited by Smirftsch on Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
[]KAOS[]Casey
OldUnreal Member

Post by []KAOS[]Casey »

Ok, i've seen atleast 13 people who aren't OZ in the server at once, he only has 3 fakes plus himself when he plays.
Hey buddy. Did you know that listing fake clients is lying to the population? You should also know that people you know.. tend to join servers with >0 people, and a tendency to join servers that are closer to full? what's this? 4 players all the time totally isn't deceiving everyone! ITS MAGIC!
And how the hell does that qualify me for mental help? I was mearly answering the poster's question which was directed to HIM and only HIM, not the 227 team. My opinon or possibly "fact" on 227 shouldn't bother you at all.
Oz is clearly insane/needs mental help and everyone who really backs him up that I've personally talked to has his psychotic agenda which you just mirrored today.
You can't make something and expect everyone to appreciate it.
Yep, you just need to have an intelligence above brains_none.
I'm sorry but I've noticed a lot of drops in players since 227h. And If you look at the server list you will notice how popular 225 servers are as opposed to227. I've played unreal for 10 years and the past 8
225 was fine for everyone and obviously people didn't care a bout the bugs because there was a lot more people. I think 227 did bring unreal down because of the fact that people were forced to download patches that depleted the option to play RTNP. And then when the option became available, there were just as many bugs as 225. Or atleast the probability of GPFs were just as likely. The most populated servers either have 225 or you have OZ's which has 227f, which as said before, doesn't allow you to play RTNP. You can try to offend me all you want, lose respect for me, bitch and moan and write 5,000 word paragraphs about how i'm wrong and should leave this forum. I don't really care.
I am firm believer that INF died because 227 only servers disallowed people from using their precious undetectable hacks from previous versions. The entirety of the inf community couldn't be that dumb to not be able to install a patch and play.

Protip : the people who cared about RTNP that much would have kept a second install of gold/224+upak to keep playing it. It's not rocket science and has been covered in our wiki forever. Not only that but there's been a all version compatible upak floating around for years.
I'm fine with 227 but I strongly belive it destroyed unreal and made it more of a "modern" game than a "classic" game which it's meant to be.
Newsflash, 227 default settings only adds >3< new visible things, two of which are in UT. The other is shadows. Everything else is for better mod support, or implementation of broken features {dynamic arrays}.

Nonlisted stuff under the hood is general optimization and bugfixes, all of which are listed in release notes.

tl;dr: INF community is a bunch of idiots and have a great scapegoat to blame for their lack of hacking ability.
Last edited by []KAOS[]Casey on Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
[]KAOS[]Casey
OldUnreal Member

Post by []KAOS[]Casey »

By the way, I just remembered that RTNP couldn't be played online without major crash issues so RTNP really isn't a valid point.. especially for Shitfiltration.
Rob-Bot
OldUnreal Member

Post by Rob-Bot »

@Smirf - I wasn't at all trying to insult your work, but I think there are some issues with FMOD which is why I'm always getting GPF's and that may be why Oz isn't upgrading because he said there were bugs with H. and I think that's why not many people play on 227h because the majority of people are playing on his server and he has F. I apologize if I sounded rude.

@Casey: ;)
Last edited by Rob-Bot on Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Smirftsch
Administrator

Post by Smirftsch »

@Smirf - I wasn't at all trying to insult your work, but I think there are some issues with FMOD which is why I'm always getting GPF's and that may be why Oz isn't upgrading because he said there were bugs with H. and I think that's why not many people play on 227h because the majority of people are playing on his server and he has F. I apologize if I sounded rude.
No, that's not it. You were not rude, but I just felt to speak about the reasons you spoke about. It looks/looked very different to me.
If you have trouble with FMod, so why don't you tell me/us, via Mail, PM , or use the forums here? So many people are using this patch now and a general problem with it can be pretty much excluded. So there must be a solution for this issue you have. Also there is still OpenAL (but it uses FMod for music, so maybe suffers the same problem) and galaxy, which is fairly untouched (except one reverb fix).
I'm not surprised Oz said that and he indeed he "wrote" me about it. Not with the goal to find the cause of his problems, but to complain (actually this description doesn't really fit what and how he said it and we had our "disagreements" already, so I was not very patient this time also).

Last edited by Smirftsch on Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
x .50cal x

Post by x .50cal x »

It is inevitable for this game to eventually die out, it is a part of life after all. The community as a whole (regular unreal, INF, COOP, etc...) has been fading out over the past few years and you cannot deny that fact. It was the strong communities which kept people around for so long, but now most have packed up and moved on to greener pastures.

I have nothing but awesome memories with this game, and will probably never experience anything like it again.  I'm very proud to have been able to play alongside so many amazing players - and I can only hope someday there will be a reunion!! I might not be familiar with all of the current players, nor they with me, but we all have one thing in common - we all have experienced a community the likes of which most gamers will never know.

Frag on.

-LaZy
Smirftsch
Administrator

Post by Smirftsch »

well, maybe we can really do something for a small reunion :)
Rob-Bot
OldUnreal Member

Post by Rob-Bot »

we'd need to make threads on this forum and other popular forums like unrealsp and bu, and set up a time or something.
Hyzoran
OldUnreal Member

Post by Hyzoran »

I predict that Unreal will die completely in 5-8 years.
227 imo caused a bit of confusion at every release but after a while it stablized. However the main cause for the player drop is the time. Not everyone wants to play the same game for 10+ years, even though Unreal is the best game ever made (Out of the games I played atleast, and ive played alot)

Its probably not going to get any better unless epic makes another good Unreal game which is most likely not going to happen.

Poor unreal :(
Nothing
Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Post by Hellkeeper »

Unreal has already have quite a prolongued life and went years past its date. I am glad we are all still around to take care of it. It will probably join Quake and DOOM in the pantheon.
You must construct additional pylons.
Smikey
OldUnreal Member

Post by Smikey »

Why always only me...? I'm here you know...always...for almost 11 years now...
If someone wants to organize it, I'll surely support it in any way I can, but I don't have the time & energy to do it myself.

I have no idea where you get this impression from. 227 was never a reason not to play or to give up playing, as they still provide full backwards compatibility.
At the time I was able to release 227 most inf servers were gone already and the community was pretty much gone. The last popular servers like those from SA (europe at least) vanished pretty much before release and the others were almost empty all the time - same for the rest of Unreal- the reason for that was the ongoing cheating- or rather that anyone accused everyone using bots. It was not possible anymore to play a single game without someone crying "AIMBOT!". The fun and the trust was gone. It also left the server admins no choice but to use 227 without allowing old clients.
227 prevented those accusations entirely with the new anticheat. I guess that the resulting refusal of some clans to move on to 227 was even a confirmation of these accusations.

So seriously what else could have been done? Providing a patch which keeps the game intact without changes in gameplay and fully compatible? (the incompatibility between UGold and 226 was caused already caused by Legend and 227 couldn't fix that mistake made by them), disabling all known and suspected bots and cheats?
Making it possible to run on Vista and now Win7 without trouble? Take a look at UT and how many people have problems to run it on nowadays machines. For me it more seems that people are coming back or trying it again because 227 doesn't suffer these problems.

How can you blame 227 for being responsible?

Sorry, but that really bothers me.

Sorry for skipping lot of tabs,

But i dident leave Unreal infiltration afther i was one of the first guys /girls playing it. If seen people come and go.. Lot went to other games , got jobs have a wife or man... left the game community and grow up old hah.. Unreal was one of the first good games that went out and was a close community where everyone knew eachother on and played games with or had a chat on msn or whatever software was availible that time . People connect up had meetings in real life hold clan meetings ... got over up in to other games.. Some of them are stil around here , stil speak to people that reinstalled the game and went back to see who is stil playing the game.. just out of curiousity. At the moment i cant tell much of other games that went that close as the unreal community.. 227 made a good inpresife change on quality with lot of help of smif and others that alway worked on coding and design of this game to inprofe the game play and futures with the latest required tools and updated in change to the todays games.. wel the engine cant hold that much polycounts as unreal engine 3 or the cry engine .. but in my own way of view ,, if seein a lot changed the unreal engine .. Go to youtube and look for some old FPS games.. the all ran on the unreal 1999/2000 engine..

Any way smif .. from me thanks for your years of support including the others

( Good to be back) hah

cheers!
http://www.stargateunreal.com                
The  Official STargate Unreal website .

Image[url=steam://friends/add/765611980

Return to “Infiltration-Board”