For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

Unreal Image and Video Collection (Magazines, Beta & Pre-release shots, UT Beta, Box covers and much more!)

Unreal Unreal and more Unreal
Gamesharder
OldUnreal Member

Re: Unreal Image and Video Collection (Magazines, Beta & Pre-release shots, UT Beta, Box covers and much more!)

Post by Gamesharder »

Leo T_C_K wrote:But who is the 222 dm tutorial author? Was it shane or cliff or someone else?
It's Cliff.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Re: Unreal Image and Video Collection (Magazines, Beta & Pre-release shots, UT Beta, Box covers and much more!)

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Gamesharder wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 12:15 pm
Leo T_C_K wrote:But who is the 222 dm tutorial author? Was it shane or cliff or someone else?
It's Cliff.
And the released version of Tutorial also or is that Shane suddenly? Ah, that is Shane. So maybe there was once a combined version since the later cliff's based version also used shanechurch or there's yet another version we haven't seen. Is the one included in ut demos identical or not? Then again there was no nali in ut demo iirc as it had no unreali/unrealshare I believe. But a wiki claims it was included in a demo..did one of them have it? Perhaps the demo version has additional area?
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

I looked at the demo again. As I thought the demo doesn't really have the tutorial levels as I remember correctly I was not able to play them. The files exist however they are dummies that only contain the myleveled screenshot graphic for some dull and odd reason.

The wiki information is thus faulty.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

BTW correct me if I'm wrong but didn't CTF-Command come with one of the bonuspacks only? The 400 source does have a screenshot of that, meaning it has been originally meant to be released with the base game.

I knew this already before but forgot to say.
Reborn
OldUnreal Member

Post by Reborn »

Leo T_C_K wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 9:13 pm BTW correct me if I'm wrong but didn't CTF-Command come with one of the bonuspacks only? The 400 source does have a screenshot of that, meaning it has been originally meant to be released with the base game. I knew this already before but forgot to say.
As far as I remember, the CTF-Command was in first version UT in single player.

Original company (not GOTY)

class LadderCTF extends Ladder;

defaultproperties
{
Matches=10
bTeamGame=True
MapPrefix="CTF-"
Maps(0)="Tutorial.unr"
Maps(1)="Niven.unr"
Maps(2)="Face.unr"
Maps(3)="EternalCave.unr"
Maps(4)="Coret.unr"
Maps(5)="Gauntlet.unr"
Maps(6)="Dreary.unr"
Maps(7)="Command.unr"
Maps(8)="LavaGiant.unr"
Maps(9)="November.unr"
}
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Reborn wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 3:21 pm
Leo T_C_K wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 9:13 pm BTW correct me if I'm wrong but didn't CTF-Command come with one of the bonuspacks only? The 400 source does have a screenshot of that, meaning it has been originally meant to be released with the base game. I knew this already before but forgot to say.
As far as I remember, the CTF-Command was in first version UT in single player.

Original company (not GOTY)

class LadderCTF extends Ladder;

defaultproperties
{
Matches=10
bTeamGame=True
MapPrefix="CTF-"
Maps(0)="Tutorial.unr"
Maps(1)="Niven.unr"
Maps(2)="Face.unr"
Maps(3)="EternalCave.unr"
Maps(4)="Coret.unr"
Maps(5)="Gauntlet.unr"
Maps(6)="Dreary.unr"
Maps(7)="Command.unr"
Maps(8)="LavaGiant.unr"
Maps(9)="November.unr"
}
Ah ok my bad. I never actually properly had the non goty version so some things are not clear to me. Either way it was a map made fairly late in the developement hence why I thought it might have been part of the bonuspack instead.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

additionaly as a side note, I had these things ready, though its kind of pointless really given that the latest 227j already uses that texture by default.

beta barrel texture

But in all other versions including the release version of Unreal (from 200 to 219) and from whenever 227 put back the textures so it wouldn't be with defaulttexture on nalic (due to the unrealshare separation the bookcase and lift in nalic used to have defaulttexture until like 227f or whatever it was that smirftsch put it in). But the lift was still wrong and looked wrong as the texture was lower res than when that lift was originally made.

as you can see on these images

BetaNaliCShots these are upside down though for some reason, that's how the beta generated them. Yea that one texture also at the staircase used to be from unreal system packages but they changed that in the release version.
here are the rotated versions
Gamesharder
OldUnreal Member

Post by Gamesharder »

Two new screenshots of the Swamp Castle from early 1997 just surfaced.

Image Image

These were shared by a user on the BetaArchive Unreal 1 Development History topic.
The person said "a family member at some company called "citcom" tested unreal back in the day" and that this family member took screenshots.

Leo checked the 0.864x build and came to the conclusion that these are from a real 0.85 build.
Mostly because the Automag being in the 2nd slot on the HUD, and the first slot was reserved for the Bonesaw melee weapon.

I already connected two other Castle screenshots with the first one on BetaArchive.

See full discussion here:
https://www.betaarchive.com/forum/viewt ... start=1350

Note: the person who posted it deleted their message for some reason, but the quotes can be seen either way.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

I do believe that its not the same room. though, the one connecting there, it can't be the circular room. Its a different one that was once shown in another picture I believe.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Those two images were revealed to have been fakes in the meantime and created using the release version of Unreal using yrex's mod (which was in turn based on the data from everything including those scripts I checked and I only checked that).
I did voice my doubts to gamesharder before he made those comparison images prematurely. That kind of put the doubts aside for me for the moment and looking at the scripts made me more convinced, of course that was no guarantee as they could have done the same or indeed used yrex's game.

Also yrex thought that this should remain hidden for now, well I'm not going to go into detail but by hiding information to prevent further fakes you are creating a bad precedent here yrex and I am not going to have it. Disclosure is the only way because someone is going to use this as ammunition sooner or later in order to ridicule us or cause drama. And I have so much experience in that from the past.

Let's just say that I did find it suspicious how the gun was positioned too and other things that didn't quite click.
Gamesharder
OldUnreal Member

Post by Gamesharder »

I got myself a scanner, so I scanned the Unreal pages of the french PC Team issue I got from Ebay.
Again, I haven't seen anyone who would have digitalized this particular issue, but here it is now:

ImageImage
ImageImage
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Cool. Its funny the French call or called the entire genre of FPS "Doom-like".
Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Post by Hellkeeper »

Doom-like, Quake-like, many terms have been used over the years but they've also been used in english media.
You must construct additional pylons.
Victor Delacroix
OldUnreal Member

Post by Victor Delacroix »

And Polish. Overall the umbrella term of "Doom-likes" and "Quake-likes" was prevalent in the nineties. It started to slowly die out in 1998 from what I saw, but I reckon only around 1999-2000 it died for real.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Victor Delacroix wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 9:41 am And Polish. Overall the umbrella term of "Doom-likes" and "Quake-likes" was prevalent in the nineties. It started to slowly die out in 1998 from what I saw, but I reckon only around 1999-2000 it died for real.
I heard the term Quake clones Doom clones etc. But never in a description like this they usually said action or first person shooter in a preview or review. In my experience those terms were more informal. Its just I remember that 1997 french preview video which showed footage of 0.84 or something Unreal followed by 0.864. In that video they also said "Doom-like" as the genre. So it seems to be something the french adopted at that time as the official designation.
Gamesharder
OldUnreal Member

Post by Gamesharder »

I've never seen this, here's a look at the unreleased "Unreal Level Editor" box:

Credits to Jeanfra Rugama from the "Unreal 1998" Facebook group.
It's from the GT Software Product Catalog from Spring of 1998 and apparently it was released along with the US version of the Big Box.
https://ogdb.eu/index.php?section=game&gameid=2055

ImageImage

Can anyone else who owns a copy of the US Big Box confirm that it comes with this catalog?
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Gamesharder wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 2:13 pm I've never seen this, here's a look at the unreleased "Unreal Level Editor" box:

Credits to Jeanfra Rugama from the "Unreal 1998" Facebook group.
It's from the GT Software Product Catalog from Spring of 1998 and apparently it was released along with the US version of the Big Box.
https://ogdb.eu/index.php?section=game&gameid=2055

ImageImage

Can anyone else who owns a copy of the US Big Box confirm that it comes with this catalog?
Indeed I never saw that art as far as I know, but it is a little bit familiar with something.

Hell if they created the box maybe there was a cd too. I mean we know that it was the "newed" aka unreal creation station that shipped with the OEM 219 S3 version at first, but with more "prefabs" and possibly loose levels and what not and all kind of new textures. I wouldn't be surprised if the ut city textures got created during this too or some of them...as the city stuff and shanechurch from the original level pack, only appeared in UT past the 222 beta even. And there's also the question if more OEM releases got out like the Intel one or the one that had the original Temple dm level by shane that got modified into the UT Fusion Pack II (that was the internal name for it, as shown in UII alpha files) released as BonusPack I's DM-ArcaneTemple.

Also jarring how the plain Unreal box shows a screenshot of a level so prominently at the front that didn't end up in the game (Toxic) and only did so in RTNP. Part of me thinks the reason Epic wanted these levels to be released with UPak and gave them to Legend, was this, because they featured so much in promotional material and boxes...
Gamesharder
OldUnreal Member

Post by Gamesharder »

Leo T_C_K wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 3:22 pm Also jarring how the plain Unreal box shows a screenshot of a level so prominently at the front that didn't end up in the game (Toxic) and only did so in RTNP.
Same with Soledad, though that didn't end up anywhere really. But there's a box cover with a Soledad picture.

I just realized it's the editor screenshot of Midian

They really loved that editor shot...
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Gamesharder wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 4:48 pm
Leo T_C_K wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 3:22 pm Also jarring how the plain Unreal box shows a screenshot of a level so prominently at the front that didn't end up in the game (Toxic) and only did so in RTNP.
Same with Soledad, though that didn't end up anywhere really. But there's a box cover with a Soledad picture.

I just realized it's the editor screenshot of Midian

They really loved that editor shot...
lol though I doubt midian would have been included in the level examples, but at least it was getting a port in the unreal psx version.

can you post that shot though with Soledad on it? I forgot that existed.

But still, given that the Intel OEM Fusion Creative Design pack was predominantly Crypt in theme, and UT was going to feature (even more than the released version) the crypt set as well, they left the crypt levels out for all that and "future" that didn't come I guess.
Gamesharder
OldUnreal Member

Post by Gamesharder »

I swear I posted this somewhere

Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Gamesharder wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 6:33 pm I swear I posted this somewhere

Huh? That's the October 1997 shot of Soledad. Also the titan is in a different frame of animation and the Skaarj is the "pose" variant.
I'm not so sure I saw this one then.
Are you sure this is just a regular version? It looks distinct from the others.
Gamesharder
OldUnreal Member

Post by Gamesharder »

Leo T_C_K wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 8:27 pm Huh? That's the October 1997 shot of Soledad. Also the titan is in a different frame of animation and the Skaarj is the "pose" variant.
I'm not so sure I saw this one then.
Are you sure this is just a regular version? It looks distinct from the others.
So is the Toxic one.
Other than the pictures of the monsters, it's the same exact box. So yeah, I'm sure.
Can't remember on which site I found it, I might have the link saved.

Speaking of weird box covers, there's also a strange European version with Sliths behind the "UNREL" title, and a 96 castle picture on the left lol (layered good as well)

Full page:
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Absolutely amazing. I'd love to play this UNREL, What a great game.

Still, unless you check the disks we can't be 100 percent sure it wasn't an accidental pre-release if mistakes like these can slip too.

Also the other screenshot shows that "pose" skaarj variant (we do have the anim file that does this to the model btw, it was within the texed even).
So yea I was right when I identified it as that lol...because I remember how the model looked with the aniv file and skaarjwarrior skin.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Okay look we have the equivalent of the other version in a bag..a body bag...full of CDs somewhere.
Gamesharder wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 9:01 pm Image
As in the one which shows the "early" extremelab which was then the base for extremedark and creating inconsistency in the released game. But I can't access it right now to see in bigger detail.
But...okay let's identify each map in those squares.

From the bottom right (I'll explain why later)
ISV Deck1, Bluff, Velora Pass (or Sleeping Giant as it was called at the time), Dig, SkyTown, Dark (I assume, as Dark used to be part of the Swamp Castle set before the 1997 reboot), Aztec, Dig again (the very start), and yea what's the last one from exactly? Or first one if you go top left...Is that chizra/ceremony but if so what room is it taken in? There's a torch behind the Skaarj. Where is that?
Gamesharder
OldUnreal Member

Post by Gamesharder »

Yeah, it's Chizra/Ceremony

We do have that in bmp quality forunately

I really wish a CD would surface with all the other promotional pictures of this version in original quality.
I once tried to collect all of them from magazines and such, there's a lot. (and more)

Return to “Unreal General Forum”