For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

Semi public release of 227j

Report bugs, read about fixes, new features and ask questions about the Unreal 227 patch here. Place comments and commit suggestions.
Hyper
OldUnreal Member

Re: Semi public release of 227j

Post by Hyper »

227j_42 was a beta build only available to devs and beta testers. There has not been a public release of this test build. The only public build is 227j_release as posted in these forums. Usually beta releases are incompatible with other beta releases. The devs can conform builds to be compatible with select versions which are usually previous release versions. I have no idea how this is done but it probably has some drawbacks otherwise they would probably already have made everything compatible with everything else.
The man who stopped a tsunami

http://www.hypercoop.tk
unreal://hypercoop.tk
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Hyper wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 2:00 pm 227j_42 was a beta build only available to devs and beta testers. There has not been a public release of this test build. The only public build is 227j_release as posted in these forums. Usually beta releases are incompatible with other beta releases. The devs can conform builds to be compatible with select versions which are usually previous release versions. I have no idea how this is done but it probably has some drawbacks otherwise they would probably already have made everything compatible with everything else.
The drawback is that it is a linear conformation usually. The conformation to the unusual (like 226a) had to be done separately via nonstandard methods. Unreal on itself provides net conformation and any mod maker can do it. That's how. Its just as I said the conform has to be linear, if you miss a conform inbetween a version, you messed up and can't go back technically (or well, you can actually, but it becomes more unfeasible that way and is I guess more prone to error with more changes). That means now we have 42 being used publically or even shared on some places creating this branch, that has only been conformed to 227i and thus current 227j is not conformed to that. (one could in theory then solve it by conforming 227k also in the end to 42, again...I mean that shouldn't have a drawback anymore at this point)

but basically one has to conform it to one file/version and not multiple at the same time...but then that one can be conformed against a different one

fuck, this is starting to sound as complicated as something like time travel isn't it? lol
Masterkent
OldUnreal Member

Post by Masterkent »

Leo T_C_K wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 9:45 amSpeaking of that, is there a public link to 227_42?
I can't recall seeing any web pages that would provide it for everyone.
Leo T_C_K wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 9:45 amThat's the version before the big changes started happening right?
Yes, there was a long period of silence after it, then we got a big update with over 9000 changes and lots of new bugs.
Leo T_C_K wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 9:45 ambut gee what a mess. I thought the whole point of those patches would be that: versions would be compatible.
The whole point of patches is that subsequent patches are generally supposed to be better than older ones, but nearly all versions that came after j_42 the next 4 years failed to accomplish this goal, and this is the reason why some people still prefer j_42.

For me personally j_42 ain't the preferable version anymore, since 227k 2023-04-04 has most of my hated regressions fixed. I'm not happy with UnrealEd crashes though, it was much more stable before.
Psychomorph
OldUnreal Member

Post by Psychomorph »

I think there should be better version accessibility. The general user can download the released version, but has no access to the beta's that may fix things for them. Makes no sense to me.

I hit up Discord to see if I can find a solution.
Hyper
OldUnreal Member

Post by Hyper »

Psychomorph wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 1:19 pm I think there should be better version accessibility. The general user can download the released version, but has no access to the beta's that may fix things for them. Makes no sense to me.

I hit up Discord to see if I can find a solution.
I fully agree. But this project is just run by a few devs who work on the project in spare time. And because of real life priorities development has been slow the last year. You can ask Smirfsch in Discord or here but be respectful as this is an unpaid hobby project from a busy person and a few other talented devs.
The man who stopped a tsunami

http://www.hypercoop.tk
unreal://hypercoop.tk

Return to “Unreal 227”