For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

Menu not accessible with ESC after patch 227

Report bugs, read about fixes, new features and ask questions about the Unreal 227 patch here. Place comments and commit suggestions.
Jeffdc

Menu not accessible with ESC after patch 227

Post by Jeffdc »

Hi there,

I am new to this site and registered because I am facing a problem after I installed the patch 227i for Unreal (not Gold version) : I try to explain (as I know very little on programming or coding). When the game starts with the fly-over animation I can use the Esc to popup the menu. I can enter the options, audio/video and start or load a game. When I start a new game everything works fine. But when I open a game i saved in unreal before I applied the patch, the ESC key does not functio and I cannot enter the main menu. This means that I cannot save the game nor quit the game appropriately. Is there a way to solve this ?

thanks for your help.
Hyper
OldUnreal Member

Re: Menu not accessible with ESC after patch 227

Post by Hyper »

Try to open the console or use the tab key and save the game using the new patch.
Command: SAVEGAME # (Where # is the number of the save slot you want to save to) Like: Savegame 1

Then quit Unreal and load from the save game you made. This should remove any compatibility issues.
If there still is a problem, try quitting Unreal and renaming Unreal\System\User.ini to User.old. This will force Unreal to make a new user settings file with your keybinds.
The man who stopped a tsunami

http://www.hypercoop.tk
unreal://hypercoop.tk
Jeffdc

Post by Jeffdc »

Thhanks Hyper, I tried your suggestions but it raises more questions : how do I enter the console ? 'tilde' key or TAB does not work. Maybe because I am nt running Unreal Gold ? I also changed the user.ini to user.old but then I cannot load my previous saved game as it does no longer appear in the list of saved games (list is empty).

I am really a newbie and have no experience in programming or coding...
Hyper
OldUnreal Member

Post by Hyper »

I'm sorry that this does not resolve your issue. My suggestions is what I hoped that could provide a solution.
~ (tilde) is the usual console key and tab normally opens a small prompt to type a console command. But apparently the savegame you are trying to load is locking up the game, preventing further interaction.
I never had the issue myself and I don't have any further suggestions.

I do know that version incompatibility problems with savegames exist. You can consider using cheat commands to roughly recreate your progress. Opening the map where you were and then summoning the weapons you already collected.

https://www.ign.com/wikis/pc-cheats/Unreal_Cheats
The man who stopped a tsunami

http://www.hypercoop.tk
unreal://hypercoop.tk
Smirftsch
Administrator

Post by Smirftsch »

The console key may be different depending on regional settings. In German layout its below "Ö" iirc.
"Tab" should still open a commandline (may be missed easily since its just a small green > on the bottom).

However, loading a savegame from another version will most likely fail and may cause problems, so probably best is to play again from the beginning (or to cheat your way there).
Sometimes you have to lose a fight to win the war.

Return to “Unreal 227”