For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

changing mouse sensitivity in 227

To find and remove the bugs we needed every bug known in current 226. You can still review them here.
jackrabbit

changing mouse sensitivity in 227

Post by jackrabbit »

I am a fellow member of {hLk} clan, and I am speaking for most of us when I say that unreal needs to have a better mouse sensitivity control.  With the fast dpi settings on mice these days, even on the mouse setting of 1 out of 10 it is extrememly fast compared to older versions.

The mouse sensitivity issue imo is one of the main factors that is killing the unreal community.  Now just think about this scenario:  You go out to buy a brand new mouse with a dpi of 5000 compared to your older mouse with lets just say a dpi of 500.  When you plug in that mouse to go play unreal, you are moving to the left and right much faster than you were before.  Since the sensitivity level of 1 is still not suitable for most DM players, they will just quit unreal because of the fact they are moving faster than they can handle.   Just talk to former {hLk}Playback or {hLk}ElevenZero and they will tell you that unreal just does not have the capabilites to support new mice with higher dpi's.  If the new patch could help fix this dpi issue with the mouse it would be a great turn on for newer players, older players, and even players currently playing unreal. I would also argue that it would do a hell of alot for support for the new (non-backward compatible) 227 patch
Last edited by jackrabbit on Fri Jun 02, 2006 2:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Smirftsch
Administrator

Re: changing mouse sensitivity in 227

Post by Smirftsch »

interesting, nobody mentioned that problem before and I never had a mouse with 5000dpi :P - currently mine is having 300 and i'm pretty happy with it.
However, there is an easy fix for that- go into user.ini and change the corresponding values to:
MouseX=Axis aMouseX Speed=0.5
MouseY=Axis aMouseY Speed=0.5

(or smaller if necessary)

Could adjust this in 227, might be a good idea.
Sometimes you have to lose a fight to win the war.
Hyper
OldUnreal Member

Post by Hyper »

5000 DPI is insane and should not be considered as standard.
The man who stopped a tsunami

http://www.hypercoop.tk
unreal://hypercoop.tk
jackrabbit

Post by jackrabbit »

yes, we have discovered that that can be a solution to this problem, but even at .5 it can be too fast for players. I would highly recommend that this be adjusted to make lets just say
.1-10 sensitivity options for mice.

It would be nice to have that option so players arn't totally unattracted to using thier new mouse with Unreal 1
Bane
OldUnreal Member

Post by Bane »

According to my user.ini, sensitivity is a float. Which means that in order to have 0.1 or 0.01 sensitivity, the only change needed would be to the menu. A menu where you type in the sensitivity, instead of the current system where you just add or subtract one. Also, UGold uses the UT menu, which lets you just type it right in. Don't most new players use that anyways, which would let them use a sensitivity of 0.1?
Author of Hide and Seek mod, and the NALIBALL mod

Hide and Seek can be downloaded from:
http://HideNSeek.5u.com
jackrabbit

Post by jackrabbit »

yes, correct me if im wrong the 227 patch will not be using ugold interface. This means that typing in the mouse sensitivity is not an option. Is there a way to take the ugold interface script of typing in a value to the 227 interface?
Smirftsch
Administrator

Post by Smirftsch »

thats wrong, 227 will have both types of menu. For the old interface we will find something too, i'm sure.
Sometimes you have to lose a fight to win the war.
DieHard SCWS
Global Moderator

Post by DieHard SCWS »

This seems to be a very hot issue latelly, theres indeed people stopping Unreal because they cant get the mouse to work :( At first i didnt really believe that when Apollo told me that, but yeah i met some of them now, and it sucks when they leave for such a stupid reason:(

I also noticed this is an issue on other forums, so a good guidline for this would not be a bad thing.

http://www.klanofrebels.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=899
Last edited by DieHard SCWS on Sat Jun 17, 2006 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
TCP_Wolf
Administrator

Post by TCP_Wolf »

Yea that's an old issue actually.

Micro$haft implemented a new and improved "mouse smoothing", which in reality is a bug to force gamers to buy M$ mice, because it does not happen with M$ mice as I have been told. It does appear to affect only older games, so yea I also hope using direct input fixes it as well.

The registry patch mentioned in the postings does work to great extent though, it is only slightly worse than Win98 with it.
Last edited by TCP_Wolf on Sun Jun 18, 2006 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
-=]HONESTY PAYS[=-

Return to “Report Bugs in Unreal 226 versions”