For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

directinput support

To find and remove the bugs we needed every bug known in current 226. You can still review them here.
Smirftsch
Administrator

directinput support

Post by Smirftsch »

added directinput support such as in UT.
Sometimes you have to lose a fight to win the war.
TCP_Wolf
Administrator

Re: directinput support

Post by TCP_Wolf »

Great!!!!

I can't wait to see if this fixes all those stupid mouse-inaccuracy problems!
-=]HONESTY PAYS[=-
Bane
OldUnreal Member

Post by Bane »

uh.

Could someone explain what this will effect for us mortals down here?
Author of Hide and Seek mod, and the NALIBALL mod

Hide and Seek can be downloaded from:
http://HideNSeek.5u.com
Smirftsch
Administrator

Post by Smirftsch »

lol, sry bane, i always try to explain stuff, but since UT is having this option for years now... -
well it improves the mousesteering makes it a little more "direct" - hard to explain, some people told me they have the impression that the current steering is a lil "spongy" - might be because Unreal doesnt catch the mouse-acceleration of windows which has changed from version to version, so that the gameplay has changed over the years.
DirectInput is supposed to help, it does not fix this problem completely but i have the impression it makes it better. My aiming improved a bit directly and I'm using a mouse-sensitivity of 70 ;)
TCP_Wolf
Administrator

Post by TCP_Wolf »

Mouse Acceleration is a problem of its own which would require a complete separate thread to explain in detail blah blah sp@m bleh *vomit*

Still, even if you manage to turn off mouse acceleration completely and you do have a high-speed high-resolution ultra-high-precision mouse (1600 dpi and higher is usual for today's gaming mice) then for some unexplicable odd reason, Unreal still screws up with ultra-fast turns! If you turn in one direction slowly and back more quickly, you just don't end up precisely in the same spot.

I have done quite a bit of research and experimenting, and when I visited Smirftsch I showed him the problem firsthand...

Now the odd thing is, the lower the framerate, the higher the precision. I tested it with as low as 10 FPS or even less (using OpenGL's maxFPS setting) and then mouse steering was extremely precise. But... playing at so low a framerate is impossible, so I've been playing at 35 FPS now all the time which is more aiming-precise than 80 FPS but still allows me to play halfway decent... though by far not as good as I wanted. I was hoping this problem could be fixed... quite frankly, I don't give a rat's a$s about most of the other fixes and features except for this thing LMAO!
-=]HONESTY PAYS[=-
jackrabbit

Post by jackrabbit »

awesome!!!! ;) great job guys this will be a great advantage for the new patch
Bane
OldUnreal Member

Post by Bane »

hmm. I can't say I've really noticed a problem with my mouse in unreal. But maybe this is why I can't aim for crap :P. I don't play UT, so I wouldn't notice any difference between the two. But I assume it is an optional change, if I find the current mouse method better?
Author of Hide and Seek mod, and the NALIBALL mod

Hide and Seek can be downloaded from:
http://HideNSeek.5u.com
Smirftsch
Administrator

Post by Smirftsch »

yes, it is optional.
jackrabbit

Post by jackrabbit »

hehe .. for some reason i have a feeling that wont be the case. UT's mouse settings seem alot better and advanced. Im really psyched
[]KAOS[]Casey
OldUnreal Member

Post by []KAOS[]Casey »

does this mean 227 will be able to use my extra mouse buttons? >.>
because that would be verrrry nice
Smirftsch
Administrator

Post by Smirftsch »

in theory it should be- practically I have no clue because I don't have such a mouse...
[]KAOS[]Casey
OldUnreal Member

Post by []KAOS[]Casey »

I checked UT and it doesnt support it, possibly due to an old version of direct input, my UT is the stock 436 patch, and i dont think it was updated. the mouse buttons arent so important to me as much as id like them, but its something small .. at least I think it is.

Return to “Report Bugs in Unreal 226 versions”