For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

Has anyone ever tried re-modeling

URP - the Unreal Retexturing Project: for those who are interested in High-Resolution Textures for Unreal & UnrealTournament or may want to take part in creating them

Moderator: ahaigh01

Dann
OldUnreal Member

Has anyone ever tried re-modeling

Post by Dann »

I would like to know. ;D
Dann
OldUnreal Member

Re: Has anyone ever tried re-modeling

Post by Dann »

The reason why i won't to know is because i would like to make new models for unreal. I have been trying to make the menus mouse activated lately could someone help.
Turboman.
OldUnreal Member

Post by Turboman. »

that would ofcourse be nice to think about after finishing the retexturing project, its going to be easy with static meshes, but a bit harder with animated meshes though, especially since unreal uses vertex animation over skeletal animation, meaning every frame has to be created from scratch (which can be over 400 for a creature), instead of creating a few and let the game combine them.

also i'm not all too sure if unreal handles animated high poly models that well, for now the average polycount for animated models is around 500 poly's i'm pretty sure models with over 2000 poly's would result in minor warping/swimming verticle effects due to the model grid size limit.

i dont know how you can get them to replace the old ones though, recompiling the standard .u packages will result in incompatibility, maybe by having them in a seperate package loaded by a mutator?

as for menu with mouse support, you might be better off with unreal gold then since it has a different menu with mouse browser navigation.

hope that helps :)
Dann
OldUnreal Member

Post by Dann »

Do you know what programs i should use to model for unreal i have milkshape, mdl and wings3d what else do i need does anyone know.
Xavious
OldUnreal Member

Post by Xavious »

I would suggest 3DStudioMax, which costs like 3000000 euros, but you can always download it ilegally *gasp*...
As much as i try, i cannot seem to think of an interesting and amusing signature...I blame the stupid fools who stole all my ideas for decent signatures...

Fools...

I'll get you some day!
Turboman.
OldUnreal Member

Post by Turboman. »

yes, 3d studio max is the best solution, i wouldnt recommend pirating but you can always try some university or company near you to borrow it.
BOZO
OldUnreal Member

Post by BOZO »

Milkshape is good for doing low to mid polycount modelling work. It supports LOD Mesh exporting and Vertex Animation exporting very well. It also can handle Static Mesh and Skeletal Mesh exports without any issues. It does have problems with its Skeletal Animation exporting. I have seen some posts that seem to have determined a workaround for the problem but I haven't had a chance to test it out myself yet so I don't know if it actually works. For those that do not have Milkshape I highly recommend getting it ($29 or so) since it does imbed more conversions utilities from the many different filetypes and games out in the world than any other program I have yet found. Plus it is relatively easy to use and learn - much simpler than the expensive packages.

The Maya PLE that comes with UT2K3 and UT2K4 will allow you to create new weapons and player models as long as they use existing Skeletons that exist in those two games. YOU CANNOT CREATE YOUR OWN SKELETAL SYSTEM AND EXPORT IT WITH THE PLE VERSION. That is not really stressed anywhere but it does really limit its usefulness. You can make lots of Static Meshes with it easily though.

I don't recall for sure but I think Skeletal Mesh support is available for Unreal One but it was just never implemented until UnrealTournament. I need to test that out though...

As far as replacing the models: I would recommend using a mutator to replace the meshes on the fly from an external package. You would need to make sure you use the same animation names, etc. for the new weapons/characters.
Darn Floppy Feet!!
{KDS}BOZO/BOZO/LordBozo
Dann
OldUnreal Member

Post by Dann »

I have the trial version of milkshape but i don't know how to use it. I only have 17 days left maybe if I make any thing I will give the model to some one to make it into a .3d I will save any thing I make as a 3ds.
Turboman.
OldUnreal Member

Post by Turboman. »

well i think we should first focus on retexturing the game before moving on remodelling, but thats just my opinion though.

Return to “High-Res Textures for Unreal & UnrealTournament”