For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

How do I create textures on the fly, including palette?

The section related to UnrealScript and modding. This board is for coders to discuss and exchange experiences or ask questions.
Lympho_
OldUnreal Member

Post by Lympho_ »

I looked over functions

Code: Select all

native(590) final function GetDataString( out array Data, ETexCompressType Compress ); 
native(591) final function SetDataString( out array Data, ETexCompressType Compress );
but google does not help

Code: Select all

Following compression values (with example of 128x128 texture):
COMP_None      > 2 + XRes x YRes x 4 bytes            > 64 kb
COMP_P8      > 3 + 3 x 256 + XRes x YRes bytes      > ~16,75 kb
COMP_Mono      > 2 + XRes x YRes bytes                  > 16 kb
this is very little info on how to use it.

btw, there's a compression option. let's say I can always use uncompressed data, but what if I want P8?

can someone make comprehensive guide how to use it?

thanks in advance :)
Kajgue
Global Moderator

Re: How do I create textures on the fly, including palette?

Post by Kajgue »

Heya Lymph,

I always use Gimp to create everything 2d/texture wise, modifying a photographic sample perhaps with other photographic samples into a base texture which I think works, afterwoods I then duplicate the base texture and make various different textures from that base texture.

As for indexed/paletted textures, you can convert an image to use a palette in GIMP by clicking on the IMAGE tab at the top where the menu is then > Mode > Indexed.

Is this what you mean? I hope this is helpful.
AKA - ( T : S : B ) Ice-Lizard
Lympho_
OldUnreal Member

Re: How do I create textures on the fly, including palette?

Post by Lympho_ »

Totally not this, I need to create textures during unreal runtime, from script.
But thank you for answer anyway :)

in detail: i need to create textures from big compressed texture database, so I could possibly make a ~500 MB package, but there's no point since they are really well compressed (~1MB overall), and it's way better to decompress them client side, and thus I need to recreate them during runtime.

EDIT: also, for some licensing reasons, I cannot put them into a package
Last edited by Lympho_ on Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “UScript Board”