For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

Simple AI challenge I can't figure out.

UnrealEd 2.1 (227i) and UnrealEd 2.2 (227j), for Unreal 227. With many additions, bugfixes and improvements. Ask mapping related questions, or give hints, tips and tricks.
Skywolf
OldUnreal Member

Simple AI challenge I can't figure out.

Post by Skywolf »

I have a room that you can enter from two ways with two enemies in there, one for each entrance. What I want to do is have the one closest to the player attack while the other goes for an AlarmPoint. The problem I have is that I can't figure out how to get them to do this is such a way that both enterances cause the correct behavior. Is there a way to achieve this with the default actors or do I have to script something for this?
I hate it when people ask me what my favorite game is. Just try to explain you're not talking about Unreal Tournament ::).
Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Re: Simple AI challenge I can't figure out.

Post by Hellkeeper »

As long as the two creatures are set up correctly, they should perform their tasks no matter where the player comes from.
You must construct additional pylons.
Skywolf
OldUnreal Member

Post by Skywolf »

Then how do I set it up correctly? :D.

This is my problem: Both pawns have their own AlarmPoint and have their FirstPlayerHateEvent set to each other's Tag. When the player walks into the room from any direction do both pawns walk to their set AlarmPoint. I can't figure out how to make them only walk to their AlarmPoint when triggered via their Tag while ignoring their AlarmTag when triggered by seeing a player.

All I can think of is scripting an Actor that sets the AlarmPoint of a Pawn when triggered. But that sounds rather convoluted for something that should be a pretty basic AI setup.
Last edited by Skywolf on Sat Oct 29, 2016 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
I hate it when people ask me what my favorite game is. Just try to explain you're not talking about Unreal Tournament ::).
Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Post by Hellkeeper »

Well, you want one guy to attack the player on sight? That's what enemy creatures do, so just put the guy there and that's it.
You want the other guy to run to his alarmpoint? Set up his alarmpoint.

That's pretty much it. Then when the player alerts the two enemies, one will attack him because that's default enemy behaviour, and the other will go to his alarmpoint.
If you want to make sure they react simultaneously, then set the FirstPlayerHateEvent of attack guy to alarmpoint guy's tag.
Skywolf
OldUnreal Member

Post by Skywolf »

Let me try to explain it better. :D

This is what I want to do:

_________
|Aa Ab|
_| |_
_ Pa Pb _
| |
|________|

When the player enter from the right enterance I want Pawn a (Pa) to go to AlarmPoint a (Aa) while Pawn b (Pb) attacks the player. When the player enters the room from the left enterance I want Pawn b (Pb) to go to AlarmPoint b (Ab) while Pawn a (Pa) attacks the player. In other words, I want them to switch roles depending on which enterance the player enters from.
Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Post by Hellkeeper »

Ah, I see. I don't think it's easily possible with alarmpoints as you can't change AlarmTags on the fly in Unreal, and if you set one, it's automatically executed on sight by the enemy.
[]KAOS[]Casey
OldUnreal Member

Post by []KAOS[]Casey »

If the hallway/visibility were perfect you could create a special trigger that will swap the correct variables before any action happens
Skywolf
OldUnreal Member

Post by Skywolf »

In case this wasn't possible with stock actors was my plan to make a custom actor that sets the AlarmPoint of a pawn and then triggers this pawn. This actor then gets triggered by the FirstPlayerHateEvent of the pawn that sees the player. But Hellkeeper says you can't change a pawn's AlarmPoint on the fly while Casey says you can. So now I'm not sure if this is possible or not :D.
Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Post by Hellkeeper »

But Hellkeeper says you can't change a pawn's AlarmPoint on the fly
...With default parameters and actors. If Casey says you can change it with a custom trigger, then believe him. I was just saying this is indeed impossible under the conditions you stated above, that is without scripting a specific actor. ;)
[]KAOS[]Casey
OldUnreal Member

Post by []KAOS[]Casey »

That is correct. A custom handcrafted one could do the job, but stock code will not. I could create such a construct, but I'd need a normally working alarm point setup/guide since I am literally clueless when it comes to pathing. except spamming nodes forever and ever inflating rebuild times :)

Return to “UnrealEd 2.x, the Unreal 227 editors”