For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

Anyone else hates the new UnrealEd interface for Unreal Engine 4?

Ask UnrealEd 1 mapping related questions, or give hints, tips and tricks
iLikeTheUDK
OldUnreal Member

Anyone else hates the new UnrealEd interface for Unreal Engine 4?

Post by iLikeTheUDK »

What do you think? Is the change welcome? Or doesn't it feel like UnrealEd anymore (in a bad way)?

[img]http://www.pcper.com/files/imagecache/article_max_width/news/2012-06-08/UE4-5-1.jpg[/img]
Last edited by iLikeTheUDK on Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
GreatEmerald
OldUnreal Member

Re: Anyone else hates the new UnrealEd interface for Unreal Engine 4?

Post by GreatEmerald »

Eh, to me, UT3Ed already felt very overwhelming. I'm too used to UEd 2.0-3.0, where the interface didn't change over a long time at all. Then in UT3 they rearranged everything and made it difficult to work with it when coming from the UEd 3.0 background. In UDK they rearranged it some more, and they continue doing so, apparently.
Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Post by Hellkeeper »

I don't know them and haven't tested them, but I'm not too worried : Epic's reputation comes in a large part from the ease of use and intelligent design of their developping tools.

And what does "feel like UnrealEd" mean ? If it means "feel like Ued 1.0-2.0-3.0", then yes, maybe, but on the other hand, I wouldn't expect to use the UnrealEngine 4 with a barely modified version of the editor which was created for UT99.
You must construct additional pylons.
Gizzy
OldUnreal Member

Post by Gizzy »

The demo was running in UDK from what I remember, not "UnrealED4"
iLikeTheUDK
OldUnreal Member

Post by iLikeTheUDK »

Eh, to me, UT3Ed already felt very overwhelming. I'm too used to UEd 2.0-3.0, where the interface didn't change over a long time at all. Then in UT3 they rearranged everything and made it difficult to work with it when coming from the UEd 3.0 background. In UDK they rearranged it some more, and they continue doing so, apparently.
I actually felt that the UE3 UnrealEd actually tried to imitate UnrealEd 1 (version used from 1996-2000. It was made by Tim Sweeney for use of the mapping team for Unreal 1, and then released it as a modding tool for it. As it was written with Visual Basic and the engine was written in C++, there was quite a lot of bugs because of programming language incompatibility. And uEd 2 largely replaced it, partially for that reason). Look at both, and you might be able to see distinct similarity.
Turboman.
OldUnreal Member

Post by Turboman. »

Is there a bigger shot? i can barely make anything of that thumbnail.
Either way, from what i can make of it, it looks great and easy to use, it reminds me alot of professional modelling programs, i can see those large (camera?) orientation buttons, play, stop, kismet...
unrealed 1-2 completely missed the mark when it came down to ease of use compared to conventional modelling programs, so its good they changed that a bit from the looks of it.

I haven't tried the new interface, but it makes sense it changes over time, unrealed 1-2 were generally aimed at building maps out of crude primitives, whereas from unreal engine 2 onwards this practice became obsolete, thus the editor has to be altered for a completely new workflow.
Last edited by Turboman. on Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Post by Hellkeeper »

UnrealEd 2/3 was great. Of all level design tools I have used (and I have used a lot), few were as stable, as easy to use and as comfortable as them (only BSP for Quake remotely approached this feeling to me). UnrealEd 1, to me was like QuArK : it worked, but it was not really stable and I would have given anything for a better tool.
UED4 was still very close to UED 2/3, but with less emphasis on BSP and more on meshes, which is completely normal. UED 5 will surely be almost free of primitives, or use them even more sparingly than UED4. There is no reason to keep an organisation and a philosophy that were primarily designed to use brushes when things will be entirely mesh-and-particle-based.

Modeling softwares are hit and miss : something like Blender is almost unsufferable (Yeah okay, it got a bit better in the last version), while I found MAYA to be efficient and easy (in the short period of time when I used it). I did not try 3D studio max , but it seems to be close to what MAYA was.
You must construct additional pylons.
iLikeTheUDK
OldUnreal Member

Post by iLikeTheUDK »

Is there a bigger shot? i can barely make anything of that thumbnail.
Try this:

[url][/url]

He goes into editor view in 04:56.

Return to “UnrealEd, the editor for Unreal up to version  226”