For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

Unreal NVidia PhysX support

This Board was made to give Unreal projects a home- if you need a place to discuss about your mods, campains, to offer your projects for download, to seek members for it.
.:..:
OldUnreal Member

Unreal NVidia PhysX support

Post by .:..: »

As sequel to the UT project ([url]http://www.unrealsp.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=893[/url]) I started on, I continued the development on 227.

What it basically is; NVidia PhysX physics engine that works on Unreal 1.

As far as I have written now, it supports simple physics objects like boxes/spheres or even more complex shapes. Also some constraints, joints and cloth physics.

Also I fixed the BSP geometry collision holes the UT version had, and movers have proper collision with the physics objects now.

Futher plans include soft bodies, vehicles and possibly ragdolls.

UT video that Shivaxi recorded:

Vehicle video:

Download beta version for 227i: [url]http://www.klankaos.com/downloads/UPhysX.rar[/url] (Last update: 10.1.2013)
Contains summonable vehicles:
Summon VehicleX.HellBender
Summon VehicleX.Bomber
Summon VehicleX.Raptor
Summon VehicleX.HoverBike

Latest NVidia PhysX drivers are also needed: [url]http://www.nvidia.com/object/physx-9.12.1031-driver.html[/url]
And if anyone is interested in helping me out with adding features or bug-fixes, download source code from here: [url]http://www.klankaos.com/downloads/UPhysXSrc.rar[/url] (Last update: 16.2.2010)
Last edited by .:..: on Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1823223D2A33224B0 wrote:...and now im stuck trying to fix everything you broke for the next 227 release xD :P
(ಠ_ಠ)
unregistered

Re: Unreal NVidia PhysX support

Post by unregistered »

ex member
Last edited by unregistered on Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OldUnreal Member

How does PhysX compare to other solutions such as ODE and Havok? I mean, is PhysX the only free and feasible solution?
Well.. PhysX is used on Unreal Engine 3 and ODE was kinda too hard to implement for Unreal Engine and Havoc is all closed source.
So I figured PhysX is most supported and easiest way to go.
1823223D2A33224B0 wrote:...and now im stuck trying to fix everything you broke for the next 227 release xD :P
(ಠ_ಠ)
PRIMEVAL
OldUnreal Member

Post by PRIMEVAL »

That looks pretty cool!

And was the player a Cow??? I keep hearing a Moo when he blows himself up lol
GreatEmerald
OldUnreal Member

Post by GreatEmerald »

Does that mean that U1 will eventually have the "rubber" ragdolls that UT3 has? :P
Gizzy
OldUnreal Member

Post by Gizzy »

Goodbye death animations...haha
KillerSkaarj
OldUnreal Member

Post by KillerSkaarj »

Does that mean that U1 will eventually have the "rubber" ragdolls that UT3 has? :P
It's better than killing someone with just enough force to knock their corpse away (instead of gibbing them) and watching it fly like a stiff board.
[]KAOS[]Casey
OldUnreal Member

Post by []KAOS[]Casey »

How does PhysX compare to other solutions such as ODE and bullet? I mean, is PhysX the only free and feasible solution?

(forget havok, already read the unrealsp thread)
Bullet is missing a few key important features, otherwise we likely would have static mesh support in unreal

I've never heard of ODE, I'll go check it out.
GreatEmerald
OldUnreal Member

Post by GreatEmerald »

It's better than killing someone with just enough force to knock their corpse away (instead of gibbing them) and watching it fly like a stiff board.
[img]http://img638.imageshack.us/img638/5826/karmalogo.png[/img]
unregistered

Post by unregistered »

ex member
Last edited by unregistered on Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OldUnreal Member

Updated:
  • Added Editor preview feature (select any physics actor in map, change their flag 'bEditorSimulate' to true and enable real-time preview).
  • Added UScript notifies for impacts and when joints break.
  • Made Buoyancy control how well the physics object floats on water.
Also added a beta download link for 227g_20 (227g beta testers).
(ಠ_ಠ)
creavion
OldUnreal Member

Post by creavion »

Great stuff, very impressive. Is this stuff already ready to use or should a mapper wait with it for an other version?
What about destroyable walls as Brushmover? (like CTF-Lighthouse_PhysX)
Last edited by creavion on Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UT99.org Community Mappack 2:
http://www.ut99.org/utr/infopage.html
Gizzy
OldUnreal Member

Post by Gizzy »

Wow, pretty amazing stuff once again dots :)

I messed around a bit and noticed a couple of things:

- I dropped a box (MultiComponentPhysActor) down a hill into some water. Once it dropped to the bottom, I took a shot, and the box bounced up a little bit for some reason...

- Flying boxes can kill  :D

Last edited by Gizzy on Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shivaxi
OldUnreal Member

Post by Shivaxi »

holyshet....the master does it again! :D ;D

Bloody good work mate....this is truly the most amazing thing I've seen for Unreal.  Works absolutely flawlessly.  I can't wait to see rag dolls and vehicles in the future...I would definitely run a server featuring this.  Speaking of....is this replicated at all?  Does it work online?  Me and Gizzy are about to test :P

And I recorded another video if anyone's interested:

Last edited by Shivaxi on Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image  Image
Jet v4.3.5
OldUnreal Member

Post by Jet v4.3.5 »

In the older UT version I placed some convex physics actors with the UT armor mesh and had some fun with my own custom shelves. Very fun and Half-Life-esque in terms of physics when implemented that way. The only thing that bothers me is that if you have a mesh with different animations, you can't set this current system to use anything except for the default animations, but that would only be a major problem if you had something like a Skaarj statue or something that needed physics for some reason. Like in the UDK, it would be useful to have a physics gun available for in-game testing, so we can also pick up the objects and prod them around, or maybe just a physics control system so scripters can code particular actors that effect the objects in given ways, like the hammer tool in The Ball, or whatever is most intended for the developer and for any projects wishing to utilize these assets. Also, the ability to apply physics to pickups, players, corpses, and scripted pawns would be exceptionally useful for those who wish to add a bit of non-conflicting realism, if they're willing to exclude those who don't have systems built for dealing with the PhysX enhancements.
Matrix224
OldUnreal Member

Post by Matrix224 »

I now love you o.o.

This shall make Unreal even more epic! Great job!
GreatEmerald
OldUnreal Member

Post by GreatEmerald »

Thinking about pickup physics... That reminds me of Unreal II Singularity Cannon, it's black holes attract particles and pickups. I wonder if something like that could be done here?..

Bouncing box: Eek, it's alive!!
OldUnreal Member

Update:
  • Added 3D collision for the physics objects.
  • Made the objects less player crushing.
Download link is in the first post.
(ಠ_ಠ)
Matrix224
OldUnreal Member

Post by Matrix224 »

There was some weird thing I encountered with the tables and boxes- when I stack them, they tend to like..slide off....its weird. I have a video that youtube is taking forever to process (and its only 17 seconds...GJ youtube), and it shows the glitch two times. For now, imagine it like this:

[]
[]
[]

then

[]
[]
[]

then

[]
[]
 []

then they fall off.
Last edited by Matrix224 on Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jet v4.3.5
OldUnreal Member

Post by Jet v4.3.5 »

Geeze, this works almost exactly like static meshes now! I made a huge krall, climbed on it's feet, and shot it over. That bug where you have to hit it directly on the cylinder is now gone, and it would be much more like a static mesh, the only thing is is that there isn't a class for that that won't move or that snaps to the grid, but you could always set that up with the properties. Nice! With the new lighting in 227 for meshes, you could theoretically use these for static meshes with hardly any problems. On the other hand, the Physics work great. Keep it up with the scary-good engine updates, .:..:'s.
gp
OldUnreal Member

Post by gp »

This is just simply awesome.
Matrix224
OldUnreal Member

Post by Matrix224 »

Right so after like 6 hours YouTube finally finishes processing my 17 second video.

This is the glitch I was referring to on page 1, second to last post.

Also Physgun breaks this stuff to hell
Last edited by Matrix224 on Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jet v4.3.5
OldUnreal Member

Post by Jet v4.3.5 »

Can you set these things to be pushable or mass responsive, like a see-saw or something? Also, how do you change the mass, preferably with the convex physics actor but also in the other actors?
[]KAOS[]Casey
OldUnreal Member

Post by []KAOS[]Casey »

Right so after like 6 hours YouTube finally finishes processing my 17 second video.

This is the glitch I was referring to on page 1, second to last post.

Also Physgun breaks this stuff to hell
What doesn't physgun break?

brb pushing movers through walls
Shivaxi
OldUnreal Member

Post by Shivaxi »

Can you set these things to be pushable or mass responsive, like a see-saw or something? Also, how do you change the mass, preferably with the convex physics actor but also in the other actors?
under Movement properties...mass :P
Image  Image

Return to “Unreal Projects”