For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

S3TC Textures + UED2

Ask UnrealEd 2 mapping related questions, or give hints, tips and tricks
Spazzpez
OldUnreal Member

S3TC Textures + UED2

Post by Spazzpez »

I have downloaded the 227e patch, which installs UED2 and I have the S3TC texture sets, when I load textures into UED, they show up static-like. Is there any way to fix this?
DieHard SCWS
Global Moderator

Re: S3TC Textures + UED2

Post by DieHard SCWS »

Unless you have the editor 3D window setup for OpenGL they will look messed up. I always disadvice to use the S3TC textures for mapping, since i cannot guarantee bad things wont happen down the pipe.

In any case, the textures will look messed up because the renderer used for UED isnt handling them properly. I always map with normal textures and have a seperate Unreal loaded with S3TC textures to test the map (basicaly the Unreal i play with).

And i should say it vice versa lol. I have a seperate Unreal loaded with normal textures to make my maps.

But i know there are UT people mapping with the S3TC textures, so it might be possible. You need to set the renderer for the 3D window to either OpenGL or D3D9 with S3TC support active. The thing i dont know is how to change the renderer, but i know its possible.
Spazzpez
OldUnreal Member

Post by Spazzpez »

well the wierd thing about it is that I was able to see the textures perfectly in the original UED, and I have never set it's rendering properties.

Ill try to see what I can do though, thanks.
DieHard SCWS
Global Moderator

Post by DieHard SCWS »

well the wierd thing about it is that I was able to see the textures perfectly in the original UED, and I have never set it's rendering properties.

That is probably simply due to the eratic behaviour of the renderers. Renderers that have no support for S3TC textures at all (like SoftWare Rendering) sometimes project those textures normally. While on other occasions the textures are partially rendered correct or all textures are incorrect. This happens randomly and with all non S3TC renderers(SoftWare, D3D, OpenGL(S3TC disabled).

Why this happens, no clue, as said its totally random. And in your case this accidentelly always did apply to your Ued. And even if you restore the original setting and Ued, than theres a big chance it will work again, or an even big chance it wont work at all.

Its like flipping a coin, theoretically it falls either side 50% of the time, But theoretically you can flip a coin and it will fall on the same side a million times......

So all together the only thing you can say for sure, you have been lucky for a long time lol :)

And the most strange thing is, that renders that dont Support S3TC at all, sometimes are capable of rendering S3TC textures. And a while back i talked with Chris Dohnel from Mindsping about similar stuff, and he too is puzzeld about certain things that happens with the renderers. He suspects that certain coding activates other (unknow)coding.

And a good example is OpenGL. If the renderer for OpenGL is set to S3TC True and that player does not use any S3TC textures, the renderer all of a sudden is capable of rendering textures larger that 256(up to 1024). And this is nowhere to be found in the coding for that renderer. As said Chris suspects another unknow coding somewhere else is triggered via, via as well.

The game is called Unreal, and that might explain it :)
DaveW
OldUnreal Member

Post by DaveW »

And a good example is OpenGL. If the renderer for OpenGL is set to S3TC True and that player does not use any S3TC textures, the renderer all of a sudden is capable of rendering textures larger that 256(up to 1024). And this is nowhere to be found in the coding for that renderer. As said Chris suspects another unknow coding somewhere else is triggered via, via as well..
In Deus Ex (Unreal Tournament engine) that goes up to 4096 I think. Or, at least, 2048 - up to now on Deus Ex New Vision I've just been importing standard 8bit PCX files and modifying the drawscale.
Smirftsch
Administrator

Post by Smirftsch »

Could dig for that if wanted ?
However, the renderer in UED2 should be that one which is set for windowed renderer in Unreal.ini iirc...

Last edited by Smirftsch on Fri Aug 01, 2008 6:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sometimes you have to lose a fight to win the war.
DieHard SCWS
Global Moderator

Post by DieHard SCWS »

In Deus Ex (Unreal Tournament engine) that goes up to 4096 I think. Or, at least, 2048 - up to now on Deus Ex New Vision I've just been importing standard 8bit PCX files and modifying the drawscale.
None of the games(Unreal/UT/DeusEx) have problems if they encounter 1024 textures or higher, but they will be rendered down to a certain maximum. And if people dont pay attention to it, they might not notice this, since they still can see everything just fine, just with fewer details. OpenGL this problem seems solved by setting S3TC to true regardless if theres S3TC textures.

Nativelly Software rendering is by far the most powerfull renderer, that renderer pretty much can handle anything.

On top of all that, seeing the errors on S3TC textures if the renderer is not set correctly, it seems the large scale (lets say 4096) isnt the problem, but the renderer either cant handle the amount of Mipmaps or is unable to read the correct Mipmaps on the lower end of that texture. (highly theoretical that is)

Return to “UnrealEd 2, the editor for UnrealTournament”