For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

Friction surfaces

Ask UnrealEd 2 mapping related questions, or give hints, tips and tricks
GcSkaarj
OldUnreal Member

Friction surfaces

Post by GcSkaarj »

I'm trying to do the inverse effect of a slippery surface (low value of ZoneGroundFriction), in other words a surface like deep sand, snow or with some liquid (like seashore), but I can't figure it out.

The only thing that happens with higher values of ZoneGroundFriction is that the surface stops you in the same millisecond when you release the forward or strafe buttons, and you don't slip one millimeter. The more accurate thing that I have found is time dilatation, but change all the movements.
Last edited by GcSkaarj on Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Turboman.
OldUnreal Member

Re: Friction surfaces

Post by Turboman. »

I've tried to achieve this effect too years ago, but i failed as i never understood how unreal handled friction and terminalvelocity settings, i've always figured the way the engine handles it is broken.

you can try using zoneterminalvelocity and friction, but it won't affect walking speed, it'll only prevent players from being able to jump.
if you want to slow people down, i think you have to create a new zoneinfo class which slows down the player's groundspeed upon entering, i would recommend you to look at unreal's tarzone as an example (it slows down the player in water, like being stuck in tar)

GcSkaarj
OldUnreal Member

Post by GcSkaarj »

I've tried to achieve this effect too years ago, but i failed as i never understood how unreal handled friction and terminalvelocity settings, i've always figured the way the engine handles it is broken.

you can try using zoneterminalvelocity and friction, but it won't affect walking speed, it'll only prevent players from being able to jump.
if you want to slow people down, i think you have to create a new zoneinfo class which slows down the player's groundspeed upon entering, i would recommend you to look at unreal's tarzone as an example (it slows down the player in water, like being stuck in tar)
I have used the TarZone zone and it's Ok, but the weid thing is that changing It's parameters (TerminalVelocity and FluidFriction) doesn't change it's extremely friction behavior, and changing a normal ZoneInfo to the Tar parameters, doesn't work too.

In other hand I want to use the new DynamicZoneActor for put it in some places with sand/snow type, a little slow movement, but the obviously problem it will behave like water, and it is not the idea...
Last edited by GcSkaarj on Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Turboman.
OldUnreal Member

Post by Turboman. »

well im no coding expert, but opening the tarzone code in ued shows some code that changes the player speed upon entering, and defaults it upon exit, i guess thats how its done.

Return to “UnrealEd 2, the editor for UnrealTournament”