For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

Bad graphics

Questions, Tips&Tricks for the special patches
acidreflex

Bad graphics

Post by acidreflex »

Hey guys.. noob to the board.... I have just recently installed Unreal on my laptop (specs below), and the graphics are really horrible on it. They look worse then they did on my old machine. I have d/l'd the patches and the OpenGL file off of this site, but the readme is all jumbled up and I can't understand what it says. I tried replacing the OpenGl file and removing the Unreal.ini file (all I could understand in the readme), but that still did not make any difference. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Specs on laptop:
Pentium 4-m 1.6GHz
256MB Ram
16MB GeForce 2GO Video
On-Board Audio(Stereo)
24x Cd-Rom

Ac|d_R3fL3x
Goofus_Maximus
OldUnreal Member

Re: Bad graphics

Post by Goofus_Maximus »

Give us details about your new system.  What type of computer is it? What graphics card? What version of drivers for it?  What OS are you using?  Ditto for your old system.

Do the graphics look just as bad in D3D as OpenGL? In what way do they look bad?
Last edited by Goofus_Maximus on Thu Jul 10, 2003 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ravenus
OldUnreal Member

Re: Bad graphics

Post by Ravenus »

I have just recently installed Unreal on my laptop ...and the graphics... look worse then they did on my old machine.  I have d/l'd the patches and the OpenGL file off of this site, but the readme is all jumbled up and I can't understand what it says.  I tried replacing the OpenGl file and removing the Unreal.ini file (all I could understand in the readme), but that still did not make any difference.
Hey ar, welcome to oldunreal.
First question is, are you running unreal in your laptop with the same settings that you ran on your desktop.
Secondly, I don't think you've followed the instruction set correctly. Just in case (I'm assuming that you're running Unreal and not Unreal Gold):
1. Do a fresh install of Unreal and before starting the game delete the unreal.ini file
2. Replace the default openGL dll with the one d/led from oldunreal
3. Start the game and select openGL as your renderer, set resolution and other basic preferences
4. Exit the game, go to the game's system directory and open the unreal.ini file
5. Look for the following heading - [OpenGLDrv.OpenGLRenderDevice]
6. Replace the instruction set under this heading with the follwing instruction set:

UseS3TC=False
UseTNT=False
MinDepthBits=16
MaxLogUOverV=8
MaxLogVOverU=8
UseMultiTexture=True
UsePalette=True
UseAlphaPalette=True
ShareLists=False
AlwaysMipmap=True
DoPrecache=True
Translucency=True
VolumetricLighting=True
ShinySurfaces=True
Coronas=True
HighDetailActors=True
DetailTextures=True
UseTrilinear=True
MaxAnisotropy=0
SupportsLazyTextures=0
GammaOffset=0.000000
LODBias=0.000000
MaxTMUnits=0
RefreshRate=0
DisableSpecialDT=False
UseFilterSGIS=False
Use4444Textures=False
UseVertexSpecular=False
DescFlags=0

7. Make sure your desktop is set to 32-bit color since Unreal looks bad in 16-bit
6. You should be looking at a far improved game now.
They're all dead...they just don't know it yet.

Return to “OpenGL & D3D for Unreal & UnrealTournament”