For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

feedback, questions and bugs.

This forum is for the new audio renderer for UEngine 1 based games, like Unreal, UnrealTournament, DeusEx and Rune. Missing a Game? Want to develop yourself? Let us know!
Addict
OldUnreal Member

Re: feedback, questions and bugs.

Post by Addict »

i installed the whole thing again fresh and its still the same.

Then removed unreal.ini then installed the patch again and still the ini looks the same and the game fucks up still!!

hmm
Kerilkkorn
OldUnreal Member

Post by Kerilkkorn »

I guess the only stupid questions are those not asked, where did you get the 2.24 patch you applied before applying OMPv 0.2?
War doesn't determine who is right, war determines who is left...
Addict
OldUnreal Member

Post by Addict »

from this website :-/
Addict
OldUnreal Member

Post by Addict »

ill start over again ....
Addict
OldUnreal Member

Post by Addict »

sorry doesn't work - doesn't create a modified ini. tried 3 or 4 times. When i go to advanced options in the game the extra configs are there i think... see attached screenshot

[url]http://www.unreality.nildram.co.uk/untitled.JPG[/url]

gunna have to remove it...
DieHard SCWS
Global Moderator

Post by DieHard SCWS »

What if you download the No UMOD version.

That would serve two purposes:
- In case the first download got corrupted, its unlikely it occurs twice.
- And you will be sure most of the files will be in place to begin with.

Just an idea............

Or off course you could try another patch version, 226 maybe.
Last edited by DieHard SCWS on Fri Aug 26, 2005 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Smirftsch
Administrator

Post by Smirftsch »

just go and delete the current unreal.ini - it will create a new ini with the default values - sry, didnt find time yet to look deeper into here, but we'll find a solution for it :)

ow, and please check the fileversion of opengldrv and alaudio and fmod
Last edited by Smirftsch on Fri Aug 26, 2005 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sometimes you have to lose a fight to win the war.
Turboman.
OldUnreal Member

Post by Turboman. »

i was wondering, does the source code mean we can have a better openal/fmod in unreal?

i still found some bugs in the current version, although nothing serious and i assume most is hardware related, although i still kinda miss the musicorder command :-/
Smirftsch
Administrator

Post by Smirftsch »

the musicorder is fixed in the current release iirc, but i wanted to wait until the next official openal release is out, should fix with some soundcards as well
Addict
OldUnreal Member

Post by Addict »

What if you download the No UMOD version.

That would serve two purposes:
- In case the first download got corrupted, its unlikely it occurs twice.
- And you will be sure most of the files will be in place to begin with.

Just an idea............

Or off course you could try another patch version, 226 maybe.
ill give it a try....im just a bit fed up of reinstalling :)
Canadian_Bacon
OldUnreal Member

Post by Canadian_Bacon »

so deleting the unreal.ini doesn't work?
SynthDude2001

Post by SynthDude2001 »

Hi all, I've been using the OpenAL patch for several months now and I'm really enjoying it. True 5.1 sound in Unreal and UT adds a lot to the game. :)

I do have one issue though, having to do with music playback in UT specifically. On a few maps, the music playback isn't quite right - there's the "fade in" issue that I've seen discussed in here before, but that isn't that big of an issue. Mainly, it seems that sometimes sustained notes in music tracks don't cut off and will play way longer than they should, resulting in a ton of layered sounds that shouldn't be playing at the same time. This only happens on one or two maps, the main one I'm thinking of is "Anthony B's Domain" (CTF-AnthonyBsDomain1a.unr). If you don't have this map and need it for testing, I can send/host it if needed. I can do more testing or provide more information about my setup too, if needed. (I'm running the onboard Nvidia nForce2 Soundstorm sound, with the 4.42 drivers at the moment.)

Thanks in advance, and thanks again for the patch!
Smirftsch
Administrator

Post by Smirftsch »

never heard b4, but nvidia's drivers are known to behave bad with openal, maybe try to update the drivers if there are any- but now openal1.1 is out i will make an update for the patch soon, could help too.
SynthDude2001

Post by SynthDude2001 »

never heard b4, but nvidia's drivers are known to behave bad with openal, maybe try to update the drivers if there are any- but now openal1.1 is out i will make an update for the patch soon, could help too.
Yeah, I'm not entirely sure it's an issue with the patch and not my drivers or something, and it only happens on the one map that I can think of. Actually the ambient sounds in one place on that map are a little strange too, so who knows. But I've tried three different versions of Nvidia's audio drivers too (4.42, 4.57, 4.62), and they all sound the same as far as I can tell. I guess the real test would be to use another sound card and see if it sounds any better, but unfortunately I don't have any other sound cards to test with. :)
TCP_Wolf
Administrator

Post by TCP_Wolf »

I have heard of that problem before totally outside of Unreal. Some mod-players (and UT still uses MOD files wrapped in umx files mainly) sometimes interpret instructions slightly differently than others. I am suspecting, as that is a custom map, it has its custom music file too. There is probably a small fault in the music fault that just didn't show up with Galaxy playback. I could be wrong though.... :-X
-=]HONESTY PAYS[=-
SynthDude2001

Post by SynthDude2001 »

I have heard of that problem before totally outside of Unreal. Some mod-players (and UT still uses MOD files wrapped in umx files mainly) sometimes interpret instructions slightly differently than others. I am suspecting, as that is a custom map, it has its custom music file too. There is probably a small fault in the music fault that just didn't show up with Galaxy playback. I could be wrong though.... :-X
Yeah, it is a custom music file. I don't suppose there would be any way to modify the UMX file to 'fix' it if that's where the problem is? Playback is fine with the Galaxy audio system (and Winamp with the UMX plugin, and I believe ModPlug Player too). I don't really know much of anything about the MOD/UMX format to know what could cause that kind of playback error in a particular audio system.
Last edited by SynthDude2001 on Tue Nov 01, 2005 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
TCP_Wolf
Administrator

Post by TCP_Wolf »

Well, if you know EXACTLY what the problem is in the music file, you can use UnrealEd to export the UMX music into its original format (Usually IT, S3M or Protracker). Now you need the software to edit that mod format, correct the problem, and reimport the changed music file into UMX (using UnrealEd again).

Since I am neither familiar with MOD/Midi editing/software/formats, that's all I can say about it really :-(

One other thing I noticed, sometimes the negative overlay effect is less if you disable "Reverb" effects.
-=]HONESTY PAYS[=-
SynthDude2001

Post by SynthDude2001 »

Hmm...is there any way to disable the Doppler effect entirely? I'm having some problems with my drivers and the OpenAL patch, and I think I've narrowed it down to that...when I'm standing still, everything seems to sound fine. When I'm moving is when stuff sounds strange...when I move closer to a sound source, the pitch goes way up (more than it should), and it gets a lot lower or even cuts out entirely when I walk away from a sound. Setting DopplerFactor to 0.0 in UnrealTournament.ini didn't seem to do anything either (why is that?)

So basically I'm just looking for an easy way to disable the doppler effect altogether...
Last edited by SynthDude2001 on Fri Nov 25, 2005 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Zlodey-
OldUnreal Member

Post by -Zlodey- »

Hi Smirftsch! Just interesting, will be here any support for Tactical Ops included? Just interesting :)
LIVE-EVIL
Hyper
OldUnreal Member

Post by Hyper »

I replaced my Soundblaster Audigy by a new X-FI and somehow the sound in Unreal with OpenAL improved even more.
The man who stopped a tsunami

http://www.hypercoop.tk
unreal://hypercoop.tk
TCP_Wolf
Administrator

Post by TCP_Wolf »

Hi Smirftsch! Just interesting, will be here any support for Tactical Ops included? Just interesting :)
Isn't TacOps just a UT mod....? (meaning: does the UT build not work for it?)
-=]HONESTY PAYS[=-
Smirftsch
Administrator

Post by Smirftsch »

yes it is, and yes, sure, why not :)
Wimp Miester
OldUnreal Member

Post by Wimp Miester »

I installed the 4.62 nforce2 (Soundstorm) audio driver and now the OpenAL patch works when set to Directsound3D with 3 problems.

1.  Only the volume for music works can't turn down the announcer and effects.  The volume settings seem to be working when Unreal/UT first loads the fly-bye but not when starting a game.

2.  Ambient sounds don't fade in and out they just turn on and off.

3. Weapon sounds don't change with distance.  All gunfire sounds loud like its right next to you even when it’s on the other side of the map.

Everything does sound directional like it should.  At least it's something I can work with and still sounds better than not having surround.  I’m looking forward to the next release.

Also, I installed the Creative EAX2 patches/maps a long time ago and the extra effects they produce aren’t working, just the original ones.

**Update**
Set option "UseOriginalUnreal=False" and all 3 problems listed above went away!  I did notice that the minigun and some ambient sounds are lower than the rest of the sounds in the game but other than that everything sounds great!

**Update 2**
Ever since the first time getting it to work the music seems to have problems when a key is pressed.
This last problem seems to be a driver problem and not related to the OpenAL patch. So everything is working good.
Last edited by Wimp Miester on Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by 2019 »

Do you know if fmod ex could be added to unreal? I'm interested in "Geometry API.
A revolutionary step up in audio realism is supported with FMOD Ex[ch8217]s custom geometry engine. This allows polygon scenes to be added to FMOD so that it can automatically calculate obstruction/occlusion as the user moves around the world.".

Post by 2019 »

Also, any chance of eax hd?

Return to “ALAudio (OpenAL), FMOD (FMOD3 and FMOD Ex) or other new audio renderer for UEngine 1 Games”