For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

Liandri Tarydium Mines

The forum related to the Usermaps section, please ask questions here. This board is for mappers to discuss and exchange experiences
makemeunreal
OldUnreal Member

Liandri Tarydium Mines

Post by makemeunreal »

BETA RELEASE!

Made quite a few textures for the map:

It's a really old map so don't expect too much.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/cey8v09nn4c7z ... 0.zip?dl=1
Feralidragon
OldUnreal Member

Re: Liandri Tarydium Mines

Post by Feralidragon »

It may be old, but that first screenshot looks very sexy.  ;D
Most mappers cannot do lava right, but I think you pretty much nailed it there.
Last edited by Feralidragon on Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
makemeunreal
OldUnreal Member

Post by makemeunreal »

Have you seen my UT map called Carbonium? That one really has tasty lava on it.
Feralidragon
OldUnreal Member

Post by Feralidragon »

I don't remember if I did, but I vaguely remember seeing screenshots from it.
Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Post by Hellkeeper »

To be honest, most mappers can hardly do anything right, so whenever a semi-competent person does things correctly, it's refreshing.
And when someone knows what he's doing like in this case, it's pleasing. :)
Last edited by Hellkeeper on Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You must construct additional pylons.
makemeunreal
OldUnreal Member

Post by makemeunreal »

Feralidragon
OldUnreal Member

Post by Feralidragon »

To be honest, most mappers can hardly do anything right, so whenever a semi-competent person does things correctly, it's refreshing.
And when someone knows what he's doing like in this case, it's pleasing. :)
While true, lava in most maps has been particularly cringy at best, even compared to everything else.
And this is because most mappers will first and foremost pick the very first texture that is named "lava", apply it in a surface and lit it up like if they were lighting up a normal room, if they lit it at all, and the result is either lava that is too dark to be perceived as such, or lava with an uneven lighting with dark spots here and bright there, or lava which looks more like an orange soda instead and doesn't look "hot" at all.

Lava must look hot and vibrant, it must look like the lava itself is emitting the light, which is achieved with the right texture and strong lighting in the environment and particularly beneath the lava sheets, and also the right ambient sounds.
Ideally, very light, almost transparent, smoke particle generators should be added as well to reinforce the expected temperature.

And I have seen even experienced mappers utterly failing at this, it's rare to find a map with good lava.

Thanks.  :)

I think I have checked that one, and the only "complaint" I have (if you can even call it that way) is that while those coronas were well placed on the visually hottest spots in the lava, they're a tad too big and static.
But everything else looks very nice and it has a very nice atmosphere to it. :)
Last edited by Feralidragon on Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Usermaps”