For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

Throw weapon freeze

Anything related to the Infiltration-Mod
nothingok
OldUnreal Member

Throw weapon freeze

Post by nothingok »

Sometime when I throw away my weapon the game freezes, is there anyway to fix this?
I dont want to restart my comp everytime it happens. :P
HeadShot
OldUnreal Member

Re: Throw weapon freeze

Post by HeadShot »

Sometime when I throw away my weapon the game freezes, is there anyway to fix this?
I dont want to restart my comp everytime it happens. :P
If i'm not mistaken, 227 fixed this issue?
nothingok
OldUnreal Member

Post by nothingok »

No, I'm using the 227e version now but it still keeps freezing for me.
HeadShot
OldUnreal Member

Post by HeadShot »

No, I'm using the 227e version now but it still keeps freezing for me.
Well report it as a 227e bug, It needs to be fixed and I don't know of any way to bypass it, it seemed to go away for me after I got a new video card.
nothingok
OldUnreal Member

Post by nothingok »

It comes and goes from time to time here.
Sometimes I can play for a qouple of hours without any problems and sometime I cant play at all.
TCP_Wolf
Administrator

Post by TCP_Wolf »

The problem with this is, we never managed to intentionally CAUSE the crash. I remember myself and Smirftsch running around like mad maggots on his server on a debug to try and crash it... of course, it wouldn't ever happen then, but the moment I divert to the occasional game on the net, BANG!
-=]HONESTY PAYS[=-
Chaos13
OldUnreal Member

Post by Chaos13 »

Smirftsch's server has anticrash protection? xD :o
Skydev = Chaos13 = Dimension4
HeadShot
OldUnreal Member

Post by HeadShot »

The problem with this is, we never managed to intentionally CAUSE the crash. I remember myself and Smirftsch running around like mad maggots on his server on a debug to try and crash it... of course, it wouldn't ever happen then, but the moment I divert to the occasional game on the net, BANG!
=) just get some guys on a INF server who are known to crash a lot, I think it's more common in INF games since more things are being rendered in the midst of your throw. I usually can intentionally gpf myself with INF guns better than regular too, so if you want get me in a debug server and summon me some INF guns :P
Chaos13
OldUnreal Member

Post by Chaos13 »

I crash often with the ICD and unexisting objects (Garbage collector anyone?)
[§Ŕ] ŤhěxĐâŕkśîđěŕ
OldUnreal Member

Post by [§Ŕ] ŤhěxĐâŕkśîđěŕ »

LOL I crashed several times even on normal coop game without a mod and I just used Task Manager "on blind" to close Unreal.exe. Only I crashed twice in a row in Serpentine then I needed to restart my comp. Else, I just use Task Manager to close the game.
Chaos13
OldUnreal Member

Post by Chaos13 »

On blind lol. Another reason why you shouldnt use fullscreen. >:( And all those unhandled infinite recursions are annoying.
[§Ŕ] ŤhěxĐâŕkśîđěŕ
OldUnreal Member

LOL reminds me of a program that I made in VB... Just uses 100% CPU and blocks your PC. (Sorry, I know it's off-topic. :-[)
Chaos13
OldUnreal Member

Post by Chaos13 »

LOL reminds me of a program that I made in VB... Just uses 100% CPU and blocks your PC. (Sorry, I know it's off-topic. :-[)
And that program is called "Unreal"?
[§Ŕ] ŤhěxĐâŕkśîđěŕ
OldUnreal Member

No. I didn't call it anyhow. XD
Zombie
Administrator

Post by Zombie »

Join a non-fixed server (or fixed to confirm if no crash/hang) and set a key bind like the following below.
set input throwweapon|throwweapon|throwweapon

Summon every weapon and collect them. Run forward while pressing that new keybind rapidly and there should be a runaway loop crash or hang within a few seconds of testing.

My guess how this could still happen in 227e is the inventory loop in UnrealHUD.DrawArmor() allows 1000 passes before stopping. In UnrealHUD.DrawInventory() it's more reasonable at 250. Why that inconsistency came about I cannot answer. Besides, if the INFIL_HUD is still in use it will not inherit any changes that can prevent a crash/hang.

Anyway, the fix in 227e is likely working, but if the client has this runaway for more than several ticks there may be looping of 1250 times per postrender tick which is possibly 106,250 times per second at 85FPS. Reducing both inventory loops allowance to 250-500 will cut that number in half or more and may prove better.

-Zombie
Chaos13
OldUnreal Member

Post by Chaos13 »

Try 249. In Unreal a loop with 250 iteration seems to be Runaway already.
Zombie
Administrator

Post by Zombie »

You're mixing a runaway loop with a function call recursion. The problem that could happen here is not a recursion.

A runaway loop will be detected by the engine at ~10,000,000 and a function call recursion at ~250. The actual detection points of both will realistically seem shorter depending on what patch and how much the engine was handling at that time.

-Zombie
Chaos13
OldUnreal Member

Post by Chaos13 »

Oops xD
Whatever...
This needs a fix >_> i like throwing out and picking weapons because DCoop v0.2 gives me really fscking impressive fx when picking up new gun :)
Last edited by Chaos13 on Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spike
OldUnreal Member

Post by Spike »

About the only time i ever got it as Headshot said, is on Infiltration, though just today i got the crash, been a long time since i had gotten it. =\
The · Killer · §kaarj · Assassins Brotherhood (1999-2020)

Return to “Infiltration-Board”