For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

New version of Infiltration. (For Unreal 1)

Anything related to the Infiltration-Mod
スマイル・ドラゴン
OldUnreal Member

New version of Infiltration. (For Unreal 1)

Post by スマイル・ドラゴン »

I don't know where to ask for "permission" nor should it really matter, I'm going to be breathing in some much needed new life in the old Unreal 1 mod.

I'll either keep the name "infiltration.u" or append a CE at the end, to negative the impact of mismatchs, but this version will have alot of needed bug fixes, balance changes, and a few other things that bugged the hell out of me in this old mod.

So if anyone wishes to thumbs up me or flame me, better post it here now.
“I am the dragon without a name.”
Ðàrk-_¦_-Ñïght.: / κυνικός Δράκων / スマイル・ドラゴン / Draco Nihil
Smirftsch
Administrator

Re: New version of Infiltration. (For Unreal 1)

Post by Smirftsch »

not sure if the infiltration team is still active. I think i asked for permission about making a new inf site and version a few years ago, but the people I wanted to work on this vanished, so it never became real.

A lot of fixes are required, no doubt, also improvements, but I'd be VERY careful about balance changes, since people got used to it over the years and I'm sure the new version won't be accepted if the gameplay is touched. Also I think it's pretty balanced already.
I'm happy and really hope to see this project succeed.
Sometimes you have to lose a fight to win the war.
スマイル・ドラゴン
OldUnreal Member

Post by スマイル・ドラゴン »

Well I want to fix some of the weapon damage and functions... Like seriously why would a MP-5 Submachine gun send people flying through the air? Same with most other weapons, and I wanted to fix the M16's trace shot so it looks better and not some, faded Dammo4 that moved slow.

I also wanted to make it so the weapons are NOT, dependent on the INFL gametype OR, the INFL playerpawns, so that they will work properly (not to mention error free) on ScriptedPawns and other gametypes.

I'll let people decide on what should be changed or not, but I'm not going to be stopped from fixing critical bugs, and getting rid of some annoying error messages.
Gizzy
OldUnreal Member

Post by Gizzy »

I never knew that using the weapons separate from the INFIL Gametype caused errors. I never played Infiltration much so I never really had any gripe with it but I'd like to see existing bugs and such fixed :)

スマイル・ドラゴン
OldUnreal Member

Post by スマイル・ドラゴン »

There's a few scriptwarnings, script errors, and missing effects when played OUTSIDE of INFL gametypes, especially the hardcoded playerpawns it uses.

I plan to fix all that and maybe adjust some of the art and sounds, and also fix the recoil code, muzzleflash code, and firing animation.
Gizzy
OldUnreal Member

Post by Gizzy »

I didn't even know there was recoil in Infiltration o.0
スマイル・ドラゴン
OldUnreal Member

Post by スマイル・ドラゴン »

There's also a really ridiculous error with Infiltration, where if you give the weapons to ScriptedPawn, their accuracy is severely impaired due to how the weapons call for "AimError" when doing TraceShot(accuracy), which prompted me to start this project in the first place.
Blu3Haz3
OldUnreal Member

Post by Blu3Haz3 »

I don't know where to ask for "permission" nor should it really matter, I'm going to be breathing in some much needed new life in the old Unreal 1 mod.

I'll either keep the name "infiltration.u" or append a CE at the end, to negative the impact of mismatchs, but this version will have alot of needed bug fixes, balance changes, and a few other things that bugged the hell out of me in this old mod.

So if anyone wishes to thumbs up me or flame me, better post it here now.
I had an idea about converting UT99 INF V-2.9 to Unreal 277g whenever that patch is released. In which, this could break the tie with Knifee. All that this mod needs is OpenAL and BotPack. Maybe a few different things, but anyways. The aiming, weapon sounds, and effects are excellent. Anyways, if you would like to partition this idea aside from this CE INF of yours. I would be glad to help design and convert these files to original Unreal :D
Matrix224
OldUnreal Member

Post by Matrix224 »

Yes but wouldn't that mean you'd need to convert all of it; that entire gigabyte size mod?

Either way, I think you should do your idea Gigu. Those warnings are pretty much the reason I don't use INFIL in the load-out for my server anymore.
Last edited by Matrix224 on Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Smirftsch
Administrator

Post by Smirftsch »

Well I want to fix some of the weapon damage and functions... Like seriously why would a MP-5 Submachine gun send people flying through the air? Same with most other weapons, and I wanted to fix the M16's trace shot so it looks better and not some, faded Dammo4 that moved slow.

I also wanted to make it so the weapons are NOT, dependent on the INFL gametype OR, the INFL playerpawns, so that they will work properly (not to mention error free) on ScriptedPawns and other gametypes.

I'll let people decide on what should be changed or not, but I'm not going to be stopped from fixing critical bugs, and getting rid of some annoying error messages.
i don't think that improving optics and visuals will cause any serious complain- the behavior however, will, that about I'm sure.
See it that way: if or if not a M16 will be strong enough to push a body into the air is realistic doesn't matter in the first place. I've got definitely not enough information to evaluate that (although I don't think it's entirely impossible)- BUT!! people are used to it, it's a change in gameplay, maybe renders entire strategies useless and that people will complain about. So if you intend to change anything regarding that I can only advice you to make it optional. I went through all these things often enough during 227 development and it would be very sad if such a mod wouldn't be used because of it.
Last edited by Smirftsch on Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
スマイル・ドラゴン
OldUnreal Member

Post by スマイル・ドラゴン »

I'm NOT touching 2.9 UT infiltration, that's WAY to much stuff to handle and not only that it would be a 227 only mod, which I don't intend to make here.

As for the game balance changes, I'll make it so a variable can determine weither or not to use "classical" INF, or my changes, with the default being "false" so that despite the bug fixes and visual changes, it'll remain true to infiltration.
Unodir
OldUnreal Member

Post by Unodir »

I would be happy to assist if you are looking for help
^DH-CrackeR^
OldUnreal Member

Post by ^DH-CrackeR^ »

Beppo from infiltration should be asked. However I got permission to do it so its probably not that hard.

Only problem is you have to make it ICD compatible or nobody will use it at all.

You need to make a submod if you don't nobody will use it. I've modded INF several times, I've made guns and such if you need to use anything I have let me know.
Dark Wolf
OldUnreal Member

Post by Dark Wolf »

Rely all INF needs is upgraded major time. Sounds, Textures, Maps, Skins. I for one loved the mod back in the day on the ole 225 engine. shit was that some fun chaos. Now with 227 there's noticeable bugs playing it from crashes to freezes to things that just don't look right. Also there are texture and sound glitches with weapons that I forgot about, don't remember what ones so sorry bout that.
Last edited by Dark Wolf on Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am the Alpha wolf the beast that slays the skaarj menace.
Smirftsch
Administrator

Post by Smirftsch »

now I'm curious, I've played a lot Inf since 227f and with 227f. On 225 and 227f based servers and never experienced any more noticeable bugs than those which were always there. Can you be more specific?
Dark Wolf
OldUnreal Member

Post by Dark Wolf »

INF 265 the one currently listed on in the mods section crashes for me with more than 4-5 players when doing a botmatch. The scoreboard also has a problem with properly loading names & scores also. This is when running INF 265 on Unreal 227f plus some original maps with outright crash after a given time frame which ain't long at all sometimes. I can tell you I'm running openGL & FMod as my standard game setup but that's bout all.
I am the Alpha wolf the beast that slays the skaarj menace.

Return to “Infiltration-Board”